proposals to legalise marijuana

rebirth

spacestation '76film
Apr 11, 2004
hell
Meanwhile three states - Colorado, Washington and Oregon - voted on proposals to legalise marijuana, including for recreational use, going further than a number of states which already allow it for medicinal purposes.

Many large employers will react with drug testing and no-drug contracts, so it really won't fix anything.

I fully support the legalization of it but it will have to be legalized on a federal level to make any real difference. States can pass as many laws as they want, but if they conflict with federal laws, the federal laws will strike them down. This is why the civil war started.

Technically alcohol is more dangerous, and the only real danger that outweighs alcohol with marijuana is the fact that it causes brain damage. Yet I'm still (quite immorally so) in favor of alcohol because I love beer. So no, I guess I'd rather not have it legalized.

I never understood how the implied right to privacy under Roe v. Wade never applied to drug laws. Since when is it within the scope of the government's powers to tell me what I can do to my own body? But really, how does Roe v. Wade not apply to drug laws? I have honestly been trying to understand this for ages now.

Since when is it within the scope of the government's powers to tell me what I can do to my own body?
This reminds me of one of my all-time favorite quotes:

“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.”
― Terence McKenna

I never understood how the implied right to privacy under Roe v. Wade never applied to drug laws. Since when is it within the scope of the government's powers to tell me what I can do to my own body? But really, how does Roe v. Wade not apply to drug laws? I have honestly been trying to understand this for ages now.

I was under the impression that it's not a law against using--in private at least, it's a law against possessing (in which they assume is for distributing purposes). Kind of a moot point I suppose, since you can't really use without possession.

I fully support the legalization of it but it will have to be legalized on a federal level to make any real difference. States can pass as many laws as they want, but if they conflict with federal laws, the federal laws will strike them down. This is why the civil war started.

Just because Lincoln was a tyrant that trampled all over the 10th amendment, it doesn't make it right. There is NOTHING in the Constitution that gives the federal government powers over the states in terms of drug legalization/prohibition. Any people that the DEA locks up in those states where marijuana has become decriminalized are technically being locked up unconstitutionally, and can fight it and have a pretty good case doing so. Not that this has changed much in regards to who the federal government decides to trample or violate the rights of.

The constitution has been reduced to a flim flam piece of parchment in lieu or dramatization, theatrics,faggot media poisioning, religious pandering ,feel good posturing and what ever source of theoretical derangement you can come up with. Welcome to a poisioned society.

Just because Lincoln was a tyrant that trampled all over the 10th amendment, it doesn't make it right. There is NOTHING in the Constitution that gives the federal government powers over the states in terms of drug legalization/prohibition. Any people that the DEA locks up in those states where marijuana has become decriminalized are technically being locked up unconstitutionally, and can fight it and have a pretty good case doing so. Not that this has changed much in regards to who the federal government decides to trample or violate the rights of.

The federal government locking people up unconstitutionally is not going to change anytime soon. You may become a martyr, but you'll be a martyr who will die in jail.

Americans need to understand that there is a huge difference between idealism and reality, and while you may be technically right idealistically and even factually, the federal government will not give a shit. If the constitution were so important, we wouldn't have the Patriot Act and the bogus Iraq War would never have happened.

Also, there is nothing that gives the federal government powers over states in terms of drug legalization/prohibition because THERE IS NOTHING IN THE CONSTITUTION ABOUT DRUG LEGALIZATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. The federal government will just add an addendum or something to the legalization and nullify the state's law. Of course state laws grant more freedoms than federal laws, and they usually do to your benefit, but the federal government will find a way to close that loophole. I'll give you an example:

In the 90's, Louisiana had a loophole in their drinking age laws. You could buy alcohol at the age of 18 but you could not drink it. If you were caught drinking it or with an open container in your vehicle, you would be arrested. However, if you just needed to buy a six pack of beer, you could do so at 18 and drink it in your own home. The federal government jumped on this after a couple of years and pressured the state to close that loophole before it closed it for them.

Do not underestimate the federal government and don't for one second think that state laws matter. The only way this thing will turn legal federally is if the rest of the states join in on the legalization and the federal government is forced to change it.

That said, I'm not saying DEA agents are going to swarm your local state-sponsored marijuana "dealer" because, technically, it's your right to purchase it if you want. I do see them doing what they did to the drinking age law in Louisiana in the 90's, however.

The federal government locking people up unconstitutionally is not going to change anytime soon. You may become a martyr, but you'll be a martyr who will die in jail.

Americans need to understand that there is a huge difference between idealism and reality, and while you may be technically right idealistically and even factually, the federal government will not give a shit. If the constitution were so important, we wouldn't have the Patriot Act and the bogus Iraq War would never have happened.

Also, there is nothing that gives the federal government powers over states in terms of drug legalization/prohibition because THERE IS NOTHING IN THE CONSTITUTION ABOUT DRUG LEGALIZATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. The federal government will just add an addendum or something to the legalization and nullify the state's law. Of course state laws grant more freedoms than federal laws, and they usually do to your benefit, but the federal government will find a way to close that loophole. I'll give you an example:

In the 90's, Louisiana had a loophole in their drinking age laws. You could buy alcohol at the age of 18 but you could not drink it. If you were caught drinking it or with an open container in your vehicle, you would be arrested. However, if you just needed to buy a six pack of beer, you could do so at 18 and drink it in your own home. The federal government jumped on this after a couple of years and pressured the state to close that loophole before it closed it for them.

Do not underestimate the federal government and don't for one second think that state laws matter. The only way this thing will turn legal federally is if the rest of the states join in on the legalization and the federal government is forced to change it.

That said, I'm not saying DEA agents are going to swarm your local state-sponsored marijuana "dealer" because, technically, it's your right to purchase it if you want. I do see them doing what they did to the drinking age law in Louisiana in the 90's, however.

:kickass: probably the only time i ever say that to a Dead Winter post. :D

They do it in my neck of the woods all the time. You know someone just got F in the A when you see a fleet of black crown vics and Black Tahoes with search lights on then and no markings.

Right, because it's still technically illegal in California, right? I think that since it's legal in Colorado and Washington, you won't see it as much.

medical is legal in CA and they were raiding dispensaries all summer, just like obama promised he wouldnt. filthy liar.

and his old crew back in HI was called 'the choom gang' ya know, cause they smoked so much weed.

Right, because it's still technically illegal in California, right? I think that since it's legal in Colorado and Washington, you won't see it as much.

The Sheriffs tend to ignore the none violent mom and pop operations (unless the DEA gets involved). They can't ignore the people heading into the Mendocino national forest or the guys who have warehouses full of plants. It's not decriminalized but you can "use" it for "medicinal" purposes.

The National Forests in SoCal have so many issues with the cartels that its pretty much common and expected that anyone growing in the forest is growing for distribution.

Had some special butter earlier today. Aaah, to live in a country where nearly everyone you know has their own home crop...I've learned quite a bit on it too!