Protest the Hero

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
For those into Protest the Hero's latest it's on sale at Best Buy this week for $7.99.

All the tunes I have heard so far are pretty cool. Vocal are a hair emo but cool and unique enough to not totally detract (for me anyways). The music is decently technical, lots of changes. Check em out if you haven't already: www.myspace.com/protestthehero

Anyone have the album, how does it compare to the Bloodmeat tune?

I really hate this band. They're not bad musicians or anything, so I can't slight them for that, but they are just so...gah. Hipster-y and the songs are so badly constructed.

Sorry, I'm done. That is a good deal if you like them though.

Well, I think if you listen to it for what it is it's pretty good. I turned my nephew on to them because he's not so much a metalhead, but he likes some metalcore. I think this band is different though & the musicianship is outstanding on both their albums. They should be able to "make it" as I think more & more people are getting into them. It shouldn't be uncool to at least respect a metal band of this sort.

Have you ever seen photos of this band? I know image doesn't matter, but they're fucking disgraceful. They may play metal, but they sure as hell ain't metal. Fuck you if you don't understand what I'm saying and fuck the hipsters that support this band.

Have you ever seen photos of this band? I know image doesn't matter, but they're fucking disgraceful. They may play metal, but they sure as hell ain't metal. Fuck you if you don't understand what I'm saying and fuck the hipsters that support this band.

who cares what they look like? if its getting them laid then it's probably a good image to have.

as for the band itself, theyre extremely talented and theyre getting heavier with each album. the song structures do suck, but you gotta admit they probably have the best all around vocalist in metal today and fuck theyre catchy

I like them ^ you're banned! Hehe.

I can see how some may say they have the "core" bit - but I thought they were more Metal than anything. A more Metalized Mr. Bungle or something of that nature. At times they reminded me of Thought Industry musically.

The guitarists are talented and come up with a few mildly interesting riffs that are 'catchy', but like Necrophagist, the music lacks depth beyond the craftsmanship.

And the singer sounds like a whiny little bitch that belongs in a pop-punk band. My two cents.

I like them ^ you're banned! Hehe.

I can see how some may say they have the "core" bit - but I thought they were more Metal than anything. A more Metalized Mr. Bungle or something of that nature. At times they reminded me of Thought Industry musically.

I can admit they are much more metal on more recent stuff.

the vocals were hard to get into at first, but fuck he has so much range and he can growl and scream extremely well too. and i feel that anyone who hasnt heard fortress yet shouldnt talk about this band until they hear it

I've seen protest live 6 times now, the first time being back in the day when they were a straight up punk band, and the last time being about a month ago. Listen to a song like "These Colors Don't Run" or "I am Dmitri Karamozov and The World is My Father" from A Calculated Use of Sound, and then listen to any song from Fortress. You'll swear they're a different band. They've come a LONG way. The impressive thing is that Arif wrote Kezia while they were still in high school.
Luke and Tim are very, very talented guitarists, Arif is an amazing bass player and lyricist, and Moe has progressed alot as drummer. Noone can say anything against their musicianship. And as far as Rody's vocals go, its one of those love it, or hate it kinda things. I know plenty of people who think he sounds like a whiny emo/pop singer, and i know plenty more(myself included) who think hes an amazing vocalist, with as much range and versatility as anyone today.

I've seen protest live 6 times now, the first time being back in the day when they were a straight up punk band, and the last time being about a month ago. Listen to a song like "These Colors Don't Run" or "I am Dmitri Karamozov and The World is My Father" from A Calculated Use of Sound, and then listen to any song from Fortress. You'll swear they're a different band. They've come a LONG way. The impressive thing is that Arif wrote Kezia while they were still in high school.
Luke and Tim are very, very talented guitarists, Arif is an amazing bass player and lyricist, and Moe has progressed alot as drummer. Noone can say anything against their musicianship. And as far as Rody's vocals go, its one of those love it, or hate it kinda things. I know plenty of people who think he sounds like a whiny emo/pop singer, and i know plenty more(myself included) who think hes an amazing vocalist, with as much range and versatility as anyone today.

thats basically what i was trying to get at :loco: