Punching-In and "POP"-sounds

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey there...

I tried to record a clean chord-progression today and I needed to punch in at a certain spot to avoid string-screetching. Exactly at the end of the first clip I get a short "POP" – and I don't have a clue how to avoid that.

Noob-question I think ... but please help me :)

You must fiddle with various crossfade settings. Eventually, you'll get it right. IMO there is nothing wrong with that switching-between-positions sound in the first place though.

Audio will do that when the wave doesn't start and end on the zero crossing. You can use quick fades to remedy this situation.

When you have a piece of real sound (i.e. not a MIDI sequence), and you look at it on your computer, it’s displayed as wave that goes up and down over a horizontal axis. Wherever the wave crosses that axis is called a zero-crossing.

Why is this important? When you’re cutting up a recording into samples or loops or whatever, you have to start and end the sample on a zero-crossing. If you don’t, there will be an unpleasant pop, click, or other ugly noise. Sometimes, of course, that can be desirable, but only when you want that sound. Usually, stick to the zero crossings. In Logic’s Sample Editor, there’s a setting called Edit > Search Zero Crossings that will snap your anchor points to those zero crossings.

I'm trying to find a photo example, but can't. dammit.

are you on cubase? if so, set up automatic crossfades to 5ms. done.

Unfortunately not ... I'm on Logic, but I'm sure, Logic can do that as well ... somehow.

Actually I thought, a DAW was intelligent enough to avoid that pop-sounds out of the box - I was wrong :guh:

BTW - I'm outing myself as a audio-butcher now, but:
I was punching in and out guitar-tracks all the time, but I never heard any weird noises, before (apparently, because I only record distorted guitars *haha*).

select "snap edits to zero crossings". I'm not sure it works with punch ins so then select 2 audio regions and select "x-fade" in the inspector window on the left, then adjust the crossfade time.

Or press "esc" -> "0" and click and drag across the regions you want to crossfade.

rsz_picture_2_357.jpg

select "snap edits to zero crossings". I'm not sure it works with punch ins so then select 2 audio regions and select "x-fade" in the inspector window on the left, then adjust the crossfade time.

Or press "esc" -> "0" and click and drag across the regions you want to crossfade.

Cool - thanks ... would be awesome, if that would work with punch-ins, too. Gotta try that out later.