Punching MIDI alongside Audio

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I recently tried to record a keyboard both with audio out and MIDI out. Now the issue I ran into, running the two side by side in Cubase 5, is that the MIDI would punch in really weird compared to the audio.

No matter where I punched in, the MIDI would always start recording at the start of that bar, deleting any audio information that was there. If the punch in overlapped any other performance data, it would immediately get deleted as well. It was just a nightmare.

I was playing with the 'Mix' and 'Overwrite' modes but nothing helped.

Can some of you guys elucidate on what's going on? I don't often record MIDI so this is fairly new turf for me, and I'd really like the next time to go a lot more smoothly.

Thanks!
Ermin.

Damn that sounds annoying as hell. Last two times I tracked drums I recorded DDrum splats along with MIDI from a DM5. Everything recorded fine, punching in, etc. The last two time I tracked drums I was also trying out the lanes view to do multiple takes a little more organized, dunno if that makes a difference?

check and make sure you dont have auto q engaged on in the transport panel! that sounds like what could be doing it...

Mix, but i've guessed you've tried them both without getting it solved?

EDIT: Sorry missed that in the op

Overwrite will be like when you record a track of audio yay sits in front of the old audio, but because it's midi info, its better to replace this way because if youhit a different note in mix mode, it will assume you wish to keep both note provided they are different midi notes :)

so auto q off and overwrite :) should work fine if my understanding of cubase is correct

^^ Fucking lol!
Steingberg striked again!

While we are here realising the failings of Cubase... Anyone recommend something else for mixing that would supply decent MIDI as well as audio flow? Mine seems to crash randomly every so often. Which sadly, Ermz and other have mentioned happens quite a bit in Cubase :S

Crashing is just part of its workflow man. You obviously just aren't enlightened enough to use it :p

Haha... after 7 years of using this DAW, I'm no longer surprised at anything. No matter how safe you think you are, it will fuck your shit up in some irrational way at some point or other.