Push me in the right direction, getting started

MarwanBaki

New Metal Member
May 24, 2010
Guys, ill make this short.

First off hi, hows it going. I was led here by a friend. All i have is an M-Audio Fast Track pro, a Behringer XM8500(microphone) and a Behrginer Vamp 2 amp. Pretty crappy i know.
I just want to record guitars, i've figured how to set good drum and bass VSTS that sound good. But i can't make the guitars sound good.

I've tried VST amp simulations as i DI my instrument. Also tried micing the amp. I tried everything. Guys i know my gear is crap but im sure i should be able to manage something thats clearly audible. I'm a beginner and i don't know where to start. Where do i go from here, everyone says practice makes perfect. Yeah but how do tiy practice audio engineering. I really don't know. I don't want to make the NEXT BEST PRODUCED ALBUM either. I want something, that can be enjoyed in the car.

I dunno,,,i really dont know. Sigh.

For curiosity's sake i put a sample. This is the best i could get, I DI the guitar from an amp and after that i added impulses, i don't even know what that is it just makes it sound good. Ha.

http://rapidshare.com/files/394209728/Confess_-_final-temporl.mp3.html

Anyway, help?

I am at the same point. The problem with starting is that I don't even want to ask this question and have 50 people say "use search" (which I do understand, and why I don't post). This is a good forum but most of it is too technical for the people that have no background and have no way to "practice". I am having a LOT of trouble with drums personally and don't even know where to start even with this forum as a reference. It's frustrating to say the least unless you can play all the instruments and practice all day which I cannot.

hopefully you get some good answers though

Both of you, pm me separately with some fairly detailed responses and i'll get back to you.

I think that the best, fast and free you can do for guitars is to grab TseX30, Legion, LeCab, Ryan's and Guitarhack's impulses,and HP-LP at 60-80 and 11k-13k.
Instant success!!!!! Lots of great clips around here can't be wrong...

For anything you need to know you can pm me

Start off by trying to just emulate guitar sounds off your favorite productions.
You obviously wont get exactly there, but you can get a reasonable approximation with amp sims.
By doing enough listening you'll start to understand how guitars should sound

well, I can give a few tips with Fast Track Pro and amp sims, because that is basically my "home demo for the band to hear my new idea" kind of setup.

Make sure your level on the Fast Track is good and strong, but not clipping (red light). Secondly, in your amp sim (I use Revalver II) there should be Input and Output controls. Revalver lets you "Learn" these, which basically sets itself accordingly. Also - be sure you are running the Fast Track right! You need to choose Preferences - Device - ASIO......This gets rid of a bunch of latency.

You can PM me....I wont be as much help as some other members but I can sort of relate to your problem, as I was there years ago.

Thanks you guys have been loads of help, especially Loco. I think i MIGHT have enough to get started now.

No worries! Post some clips up soon then we'll take it from there.

I’ll chime in, since I’m pretty new at all of this myself, and I feel bad I can’t help with the more complicated questions on this board :). Everyone here is pointing you in the right direction in terms of amp simulators, you can get great results using these.

However, to me, while learning the proper programs and tools helped (I personally mic up a Cab, but have had success with sims too), the greatest improvement for me towards “pro” sound is practicing your parts like crazy, until you can play all the notes equally clean and in time. I think the greatest studio magic comes with the ability to capture THE perfect take.

Next, know the power of double tracking guitars!

I recommend you take a single part of one of your songs, practice it until it’s flawless. Then pick your favourite sim or sound (and like it’s already been said, keep it low enough so that it doesn’t clip) and record the part twice, playing it EXACTLY the same both times (use a metronome, or play to a drum track... it helps monumentally). Hard pan one recording to the right and one to the left.

Voila, decently recorded guitars.