Q for James... and everybody else welcomed

prititing

Idiot
Nov 1, 2005
Bucharest
I am a very big fan of Macs, as i see you are :) but i use Logic instead of DP. When i'm mixing or mastering Logic is perfect for me and i love it, until the time that i have to record voice-overs for TV or radio, and that is when i really really hate Logic. It's a killer on long sessions of audio recording. That's why i managed to talk my boss into buying another sequencer. My first choise was the M-box with PT, as i dont have a big budget. But then i thought of DP, as i heard it supports AU and VST togheter with MAS. What do you say about it? Is it as easy to deal with audio as PT? Should i try it?

My gear is Apogee AD-100 -- RME Hammerfall soundcard ---G4.

Digital Performer would be a better idea than going ProTools altogether, IMO. I have a 002R and an MBox that I run on my Mac, and it works fine. But I'm trying to get ahold of Digital Performer to try out as well since I have some other interfaces that I can use with it. From my experience, other hosts are easier to use than ProTools simply for the fact that you don't have to have the hardware connected to use the host, which is a drawback for ProTools. That feature only really helps out DigiDesign since it makes no sense to pirate ProTools software if you don't have the hardware.

PT isnt' the best out there, it's one of the best. In my personal opinion, being a ProTools freak, I think you should get DP instead. I love PT. But I think you'd be better off using an independent host like DP and keeping your familiar interface.

~006

Thanks man for the opinion man :) I think the main issue here is speed in recording sessions. Workflow. I want to know your opinion on wich one is faster (as better workflow) in recording and editing audio. Thanks again :)

As far as I know, DP performs exactly the same as PT. You could also look into Sony Vegas, I use that where I work every day, just got finished editing a project in it as a matter of fact, and it's super-fast for recording and editing. You have to be extremely stupid to not be able to edit and record with Vegas at a very fast pace.

~006

Ohhhhh yeah, sorry forgot you were on a Mac (good choice my friend :)). In that case, Digital Performer would be the equivalent of Vegas. Basically put it like this. I have been working with ProTools in a professional environment for about 4 years now, and at home for about 3 years. I have to admit, it could be easier to use for editing. Sometimes I miss things that Vegas offers (which I use for my job) for editing like the fades, etc. right there on the screen, rather than having to set it up to what kind of fade you want every single time, which you have to do in PT. Like I said, I love PT, I use it all the time, but there are so many better hosts as far as editing at a fast pace is concerned. Digital Performer is one of them. Vegas is one of them. I wish I could get my copy of DP 4.6 but the stores here don't stock them so I'm still waiting for it to come in, otherwise I would have a definite answer for you, as of right now, it's me commenting basically on how much I wish PT was easier to do editing with compared to Vegas. Bah.

~006

006 said:
I'm trying to get ahold of Digital Performer to try out as well since I have some other interfaces that I can use with it.
DP works with Digidesign interfaces, Mbox, 002, HD3, just fine.