Q for the euro guys....marshall mods?

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
i'm thinking about getting some (rather minor) mods done to my jcm800 2210.
i'd like to have a second master volume (footswitchable) for leads as well as a deep control. afaik these mods can be done using e.g. the reverb as well as the DI controls on the back, so no chassis routing should be necessary. depending on the prices i might even ask for a slight gain boost...kinda make the gain go to 11 rather than 10 :D :D :D

i just wonder what's the best place to have these done? i'm in germany, so naturally i'd prefer a german amp tech, but any euro recommendations are appreciated. moreover, i'm aware that this will greatly affect the resale value, after all that's exactly why it's still stock ;) i really like the basic tone of this amp, it just needs to be kicked in the 21st century.

thanks in advance

ah, and btw, if you happen to know any amps that are like this stock, tell me! i bought a 5150 - which always had a marshall on steroids sound to my ears - to get past what the 2210 can do, but when put up against a real marshall, the lack of *that* marshall growl just becomes very noticable. the 5150 ain't going nowhere, though, that's for sure....gotta love the sweede sound :headbang:

http://www.vanweelden.com/

He's the guy that fixed Eddie van Halen's old 'brown' amp. I wouldn't bring my amps anywhere else.
He knows everything there is to know about Marshalls and has loads of vintage and new Marshall parts.
If you love the sound of Marshalls, you should pay him a visit. Bring your amp and he will mod it to your liking.

He's in Apeldoorn, Holland.

I know numberous of musicians who brought their amp to him to mod it or to fix it and they only praise him for his work.

OT quote from vanweelden.com: "The “Gainland” is an all-tube single channel medium/high gain lead pre-amp specifically designed to produce classic rock sounds with a bluesy feel, but will be pleased by metal players also."
:) :) :)

Metal players! Please, please my preamp! :hotjump: :D :Spin:

the best modded marshall sound EVER is produced by gary holt's, tempo of the damned is the proof! that album sounds so kickass it's beyond human understanding...
i can somewhat approximate that sound by using a tubescreamer in front of my marshall cranked WAY up, although i feel that i'm missing a certain bottom end/low mid resonance that seems to be out of reach for the marshall's tone controls.

on a semi related sidenote: has anyone tried 6ca7's in the poweramp of a jcm800? afaik they're direct replacements for el34's (no mods needed), but sound way different - less honk and more punch when turned up. maybe i should go that route when it's time for the next tube change. another option are jj e34l's, anyone try these? supposedly just like a el34 with more chunk and headroom, but i don't know if they require some minor mods - i know that certain amps (peavey xxx comes to mind) cannot take them, even though jj claims so

davormen said:
OT quote from vanweelden.com: "The “Gainland” is an all-tube single channel medium/high gain lead pre-amp specifically designed to produce classic rock sounds with a bluesy feel, but will be pleased by metal players also."
:) :) :)

Metal players! Please, please my preamp! :hotjump: :D :Spin:

Well, I think it is very important to keep one's preamp pleased. Naturally, playing metal pleases your amp most. A guitar arrangement of crazy frog on the other hand will not amuse your preamp at all. Very thoughtful of them to mention this on their website.