QUEENSRŸCHE To Perform 'Operation: Mindcrime' In Its Entirety, Band Plan Sequel

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
I know Queensryche still kicks ass live... so I'm sure they'll do a great job with Operation: Mindcrime in concert... however, I'm a bit apprehensive at the though of an "Operation: Mindcrime II". On one hand... I am excited for a sequel of one of the greatest albums ever made. But on the other hand... I'm worried that they will tarnish the good name of "Operation: Mindcrime" because their last few albums have been complete turds. Here's the story:

Art rock pioneers QUEENSRŸCHE will perform the classic album "Operation: Mindcrime" in its entirety on the upcoming fall 2004/winter 2005 tour, which is being presented by VH1 Classic. A "greatest hits" set will open each show, and at the end of the night there will be a preview of the upcoming Sanctuary Records release "Operation: Mindcrime II", the working title of the long-awaited, eagerly desired sequel to the groundbreaking concept album. Audiences will be blown away by the Surround Sound audio setup on the tour.

Vocalist Geoff Tate, guitarist Michael Wilton, guitarist Mike Stone, bassist Eddie Jackson and drummer Scott Rockenfield will open each show with a "greatest hits" set ending with the smash "Silent Lucidity". Local orchestra string sections will perform with the band in select cities. Michael Igor Delassandra, formerly an official composer for the Vatican, will accompany QUEENSRŸCHE and perform on keyboards.

“The band is so excited to be performing 'Operation: Mindcrime' in its entirety again after not having done this in 15 years," says Tate. "We are presenting it in a whole new way that finally does justice the intricacies of the story and the personalities of the characters.”

"Operation: Mindcrime" will be recreated in full with enhanced production. Live actors will embody the fascinating characters of this chilling tale — interacting both on stage and off. Vocalist Pamela Moore, who toured with QUEENSRŸCHE recently, will be back to provide the vocals of the album's pivotal character, "Sister Mary". New video footage will be incorporated as well. QUEENSRŸCHE also performed "Operation: Mindcrime" in its entirety in 1990-91, but this time around new and expanded video footage will be used. Fans who saw the show in 1990-91 will enjoy a more vivid experience this time.

One of the most exciting parts of each concert will certainly be the finale — the preview of "Operation: Mindcrime II". Fans have wanted a sequel ever since "Operation: Mindcrime" exploded and earned the band critical acclaim and commercial success. In particular, fans have always asked one burning question in relation to the "Operation: Mindcrime" plot: "Who killed Sister Mary?" The new album, scheduled for release in 2005, will address that question.

The North American tour begins in October 2004 and another run of dates is planned to start in January 2005. Upcoming dates include:

Oct. 05 - Seattle, WA @ Moore Theater
Oct. 06 - Seattle, WA @ Moore Theater
Oct. 07 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore
Oct. 08 - Portland, OR @ Schnitzer
Oct. 09 - Spokane, WA @ Big Easy
Oct. 10 - Boise, ID @ Big Easy
Oct. 12 - Denver, CO @ Fillmore
Oct. 13 - Albuquerque, NM @ Kiva Auditorium
Oct. 15 - Dallas, TX @ Nokia Live
Oct. 16 - San Antonio, TX @ Sunset Station
Oct. 17 - Austin, TX @ La Zona Rosa
Oct. 18 - Houston, TX @ Verizon Theater
Oct. 19 - New Orleans, LA @ House of Blues
Oct. 21 - Jacksonville, FL @ Florida Theater
Oct. 22 - Pompano Beach, FL @ Pompano Beach Amphitheater
Oct. 23 - Orlando, FL @ House of Blues
Oct. 24 - Clearwater, FL @ Ruth Eckerd Hall
Oct. 26 - Tallahassee, FL @ The Moon
Oct. 27 - Atlanta, GA @ The Tabernacle
Oct. 29 - Myrtle Beach, SC @ House of Blues

Fucking hell! That is so blatant, I can't believe it. And writing a sequel without Chris DeGarmo is just wrong.

Still, can't be worse than Crimson II. :loco:

"Fans have wanted a sequel...." -- they have? I fucking haven't. Let it go already.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000591732

Queensryche Has 'Healthy Start' On 'Mindcrime II'

As reported yesterday, 16 years after the release of "Operation: Mindcrime," Queensryche is writing the next chapter to the 1988 concept album that broke the progressive rock band into the mainstream. Tentatively titled "Operation: Mindcrime II," the set is due next year via Sanctuary.

Frontman Geoff Tate admits to Billboard.com he's trying to sidestep pressure to top the original album or simply appease fans. "I think you always fail miserably in that respect," he says with a laugh, "because you can't please everybody. You can only do what's in your heart, what's in your soul, what's in your head. We never set out when we made the first 'Operation: Mindcrime' album trying to create anything else other than making a cool record that we liked, something we felt confident with."

After more than 23 years in the business, Tate says he is happier not letting others' expectations affect his own goals. "You can have 10 people standing there listening to it, and they're all going to hear it differently," he notes. "Once you've had that happen to you enough, you think, 'Gosh, I wasn't thinking about those people when I made this album in the first place, so why should let that affect me?'"

Because of the cinematic quality of the videos made for the original album, fans have clamored for a "Mindcrime" movie. Queensryche's decision to finally write the sequel arose from Tate working on a screenplay last winter based on the set's libretto. He says his rough draft has attracted attention from people interested in providing "serious money" to back the project, which he feels has a good chance of being optioned.

"The way we do things is [based on] how things feel at the time," he says "It feels right. People wanting a sequel, the band being in the right head space, the political climate in the country being what it is. All those things add up to greenlights for the project in my mind."

Writing began while the group toured this summer. Tate calls its progress "a good, healthy start" and is confident that when Queensryche returns to the road in October, the material used in a filmed preview of "Mindcrime II" that will be screened for audiences will make the finished album. The musical portion of said preview will not comprise a live band performance.

Guitarist Mike Stone, who tours with Queensryche and contributed to its last studio album, 2003's "Tribe" (Sanctuary), is helping write "Mindcrime II." Original guitarist Chris DeGarmo had returned to write and perform on "Tribe," but Tate does not know if he will contribute to the new set. He says that while it felt good to write with DeGarmo, creative differences and tension were apparent. However, he notes that the door "is always open" to the guitarist's input.

Tate offers few details about the sequel itself, except to say it has "returning characters. "Come on," he says with a chuckle. "You want me to tell you the ending?"

On the upcoming trek, Queensryche will play the original "Mindcrime" in its entirety, as it did on its 1990-91 world tour. New video footage is being shot and a string section will accompany the band in select cities. The tour will be filmed for future release on video. Live actors will help tell the story of Nikki, a street junkie turned into an assassin by an anarchist movement.

Tate says the enhanced stage production stems from always wanting to present "Mindcrime" more theatrically. When it was suggested the project would translate well to Broadway, which is becoming more receptive to rock'n'roll-themed productions, Tate laughed again and said, "We're working on that."

-- Christa Titus, N.Y.

i saw them on the Livecrime tour when they did the whole record live and they kicked ass. I am not sure how they can better that ...

and who the hell is asking them to do this live, with this elaborate stage show???

this is some last ditch publicity / cash-in for sure

Lame ...

I saw them on the Building Empires tour when they did the full rendition of Mindcrime. This was back in the day when a magician named Chris DeGarmo was still in the band...

Looking over this topic I only have a few things to add.

1. Queensryche do not still kick ass live. (In James Hetfield voice) "you know it's sad but true..."

2. I am interested in hearing what the album will sound like and only because I have a feeling... My gut says Tate is being sincere when he mentioned the poltical climate being what it is and the band's head space. Perhaps this will be somewhat of a dark album. I have a little faith, after all, I enjoyed a few songs off of Tribe.

So, what is Mike Stone's background?

I've seen Queensryche 3 times in the past 18 months and they kicked ass every time. Sure, they're not quite at their 1990 peak... but they still put on a great show. However, they didn't sound real good on their recent live albums... must've been some bad shows. Ok, and Mike Stone is irritating. But they put on an absolutely mind-blowing performance when I saw them with Dream Theater last summer (much better than DT, actually).

Inspired by both QR's current plans and the fact that the lyrics on the original are still timely sixteen years later, here is my own sequel to one of the album's pivotal songs.

Revolution Calling 2004

For a price I’d do about anything

Except vote for Dubya

For that he’d need to have a just cause

We never found any WMDs, Iraq was not the cure

Just do research on the net, you’ll see something bad’s going on…

Got no love for Republicans, or the neocons in D.C.

It’s just a power mad town

But the time’s come for a regime change, there’s a growing feeling

That four more years of Bush’s vision won’t do

Prechorus:

I used to trust the media to tell us the truth, tell us the truth

But now I see the bias everywhere I look

Who do you trust when the president’s a crook?

Chorus:

Revolution calling! Revolution calling! Revolution calling you!

There’s a revolution calling! Revolution calling!

Gotta make a change, gotta get Bush, Bush’s reign must be through…

I’m tired of all this bullshit they keep selling me on Fox News

About John Ashcroft’s plan

And all the conservatives begging for your cash

Patriot Act unaccounted while wrongly giving prisoners the slam

They’re all with the Saudis now, or Halliburton

Million dollar contracts to sell

I guess Mike Moore wasn’t wrong, 9/11 makes them strong

Everyone’s blaming everybody, the truth’s for sale

Second prechorus:

I used to think that only America’s way, way was right

But now corporations rule everybody’s lives

Gotta start another war, doesn’t matter who dies

Chorus

First prechorus

Chorus x2

Time for a regime change! Time for a regime change! Time for a regime change!

Demonspell said:
Can you say "Operation: Last Ditch Effort to Regain Fans Disillusioned By Our Last Three Lifeless Albums And Save Our Sorry Career"?
Right, you know better than them. Most Queensryche fans liked "Tribe" (i like it too, VERY MUCH). Their career would go very good if they continued as they are. ALL their past actions have shown that they dont care about anyone else, than their need to express themselves. Go listen to Opeth

About the "who killed Mary?" thing .. it is is "obvious" from the Video: Mindcrime who kills her. Hopefully this .. part 2 will be great. If it will be not great i can not care. I wont change my opinion about Queensryche's music because of their current musical actions. They have a legacy that cannot be touched by anything they will do.

And i agree with ProgMetalFan about their live shows. They played the whole Mindcrime album (which is my fav album of all times) here last summer and it was beyond amazing. When Pamela Moore went on stage and sang in "Suite Sister Mary", it was the greatest thing i've ever experienced in a live show.
Queensryche bashers may perish in vomit.

Demonspell said:
Inspired by both QR's current plans and the fact that the lyrics on the original are still timely sixteen years later, here is my own sequel to one of the album's pivotal songs.

Revolution Calling 2004

For a price I’d do about anything

Except vote for Dubya

For that he’d need to have a just cause

We never found any WMDs, Iraq was not the cure

Just do research on the net, you’ll see something bad’s going on…

Got no love for Republicans, or the neocons in D.C.

It’s just a power mad town

But the time’s come for a regime change, there’s a growing feeling

That four more years of Bush’s vision won’t do

Prechorus:

I used to trust the media to tell us the truth, tell us the truth

But now I see the bias everywhere I look

Who do you trust when the president’s a crook?

Chorus:

Revolution calling! Revolution calling! Revolution calling you!

There’s a revolution calling! Revolution calling!

Gotta make a change, gotta get Bush, Bush’s reign must be through…

I’m tired of all this bullshit they keep selling me on Fox News

About John Ashcroft’s plan

And all the conservatives begging for your cash

Patriot Act unaccounted while wrongly giving prisoners the slam

They’re all with the Saudis now, or Halliburton

Million dollar contracts to sell

I guess Mike Moore wasn’t wrong, 9/11 makes them strong

Everyone’s blaming everybody, the truth’s for sale

Second prechorus:

I used to think that only America’s way, way was right

But now corporations rule everybody’s lives

Gotta start another war, doesn’t matter who dies

Chorus

First prechorus

Chorus x2

Time for a regime change! Time for a regime change! Time for a regime change!

That is godly.

I suppose this new album will synthesize the bands last two terrible albums-altrock/radio friendly creed style rock. And lets not forget the piss poor hard rock beatles style showcased in Hear in the Now Frontier.

I actually do think Operation Mindcrime is one of the best metal albums, and frankly to remake it now smacks of how desperate and broke the band probably is today. I did see Queensyche on the Iron Maiden tour, and they had such shitty equipment I coudnt hear anything but Geoff Tate's voice.

Speed: Actually, I remember on the Iron Maiden 2000 tour with Queensryche... thinking that Queensryche's sound was excellent and well-balanced because I could actually hear Geoff's voice over the music! Most metal bands crank their instruments up so much that you can't hear the vocals... which I thought was a slight problem with the Iron Maiden performance I attended in 2000. Bruce was barely audible over the ridiculously loud instruments. I thought Iron Maiden had much better sound last tour (I saw them in Pittsburgh both times... same venue).

Forgive me, I should have elaborated on what exactly I meant in regards to the poor sound. It wasnt Queensryche's fault they had shitty sound as Iron Maiden didnt let them use any decent equipment, the feedback was horrible. Maiden sounded like shit too and they werent very tight at all. Queensryche played a decent setlist too, only one song from the forgettable Q2K.

My problem with Queensryche is just how much they have sold out to keep current with musical trends. Q2k and tribe were awful, and desperate attempts to sund like what was popular- yet this is ironic as they did their alt/rock at the tail end of its popularity, and the creed like hard rock at the end of its popularity. Queensyrche didnt have to sound like anyone else, when they put put Promised Land it was clear they could explore non metal frontiers while creating excellent music. Its just such a fucking shame such a talented band whored themselves to the musical proclivities of the masses.

My problem with Queensryche is just how much they have sold out to keep current with musical trends
a talented band whored themselves to the musical proclivities of the masses.
As i already said in this thread you CANNOT know why they change their musical style. Judging from Queensryche's history the possibility of changing it in order to SELL, is 0%
If they wanted to make music for the masses they would always play like "Empire". And they could so EASILY write songs for Mtv

I think your judgment has been deluded by your love of the band. You are referring to Empire are you not? Empire was released in what 1988-1989? I am referring to the new Post-Degarmo era starting with Q2k in 1999 or 2000, where the band has not only followed trends, but put out a number of piss poor compilation and live albums to make a quick buck$$$. Thus, within the context of the last five years, I do not believe you have a valid argument- unless of course you think Q2k and Tribe ( and even Hear in the Now) were original, progressive, and first rate. IF you find these albums to fit these categories, then there is no point arguing with you any longer as you are clearly delusional.

Lets face it without DeGarmo this is a mediocre band with a good singer and without any songwriting skills. They were a brilliant band- were is the key word here.