Queensryche - "Rage for Order" Remaster

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
I always thought "Rage for Order" had the best production in Queensryche's catalog along with the sublime "Promised Land"... and far superior to successors "Operation: Mindcrime" (which I thought sounded too dry) and "Empire" (which is a bit too antiseptic). For being a 1986 release, I always thought "Rage for Order" was compositionally and sonically avant garde and forward-thinking.

However, the sound on my "Rage for Order" cd was rather quiet and punchless. I finally got to hear the remaster, and I think it made a huge improvement. I think this album was a perfect candidate for remastering. The sound is so full and rich and powerful. I thought the multi-tracked vocals during choruses were significantly improved. And the drums sound massive. I always liked how they sounded (I believe I read the drums were recorded in an empty warehouse to achieve that unique booming sound), but they're just bigger than ever now. I might just have to break down and get the remastered version for myself one of these days... comes with some great bonus tracks as well.

I'm glad you like it, and I do completely agree with you that a remastering was desperately needed (although I have yet to hear the new version). As I'm sure you know, there was an error with the original mastering (the lower volume master, intended for vinyl only was mistakenly used) and therefore the sound suffered when put up against other albums mastered for CD.

I've heard good things about this new version though, so i'll have to check it out.

Neil K.

About 1o years ago I copied the CD on a tape, with a shity tape recorder. I don't know how but the tape recorder amplified the CD sound, the volume was so much louder on the tape than on the CD. Man, I was thrilled with the sounds I discovered on the album. There's so much going on than you can actually hear on the CD.

Hi Andi,

perhaps you got tricked by the physiology of the ear and the weaknesses of the magnetic tape:

The process of dubbing from CD to analogue tape may raise the average level of the recording - which makes the tape recording subjective much louder - and even adds some ear pleasing harmonics the signal.

These effects are caused by the natural kompression and distortion of the magnetic tape if you drive it close to saturation level - which might has been the case with your "shity" tape recorder.

The result is a much louder but of course less dynamic recording because the difference between the softest and the loudest signal is reduced by the tape kompression. This in fact makes it easier to hear things which would be harder to hear on the CD. It even brings the reverb and ambience of the recording up front and unfortunately tape noise, too.

It think you got yourself a unique remaster...

Cheers

Mike

Hello Mike,

Yes, that might be the case.
Anyway, it should have been Neil Kernon to do the remaster, he knows better than anyone what tricky sounds he threw in there and bring them forward. I think that he should do an even more hi-tech remaster (he admitted in an interview that back then he agreed with Queensryche to go for a hi-tech approach).

Hi Andi,

Actually, a remaster wouldn't involve me, as it's not a matter of remixing or something like that. It's simply a matter of remastering the original stereo master tapes from 1986, and not using an incorrect tape for the CD mastering as I believe was the original issue.

You are absolutely correct with regard to the hi-tech approach though. That's exactly what we were going for on RFO.

Neil K.

Hey Neil, I am confused with this remaster - remix thing :Spin: Man, this album cries out for a remix. ;) The guys in Queensryche also seem to be confused. They said that "Rage" has to do more with vampires, but the lyrics in most of the songs say something else. The hi-tech feeling speaks the same language with the lyrics. :) So, it makes one go vortex. The big question is: Queensryche tried to do a vampire album, but you came up with the hi-tech idea, they liked it and wrote lyrics to fit the idea (i.e. "Surgical Strike", "Screaming in Digital", etc) or they had these songs, you were inspired by them and came up with the idea?
Now, I know it might be difficult for you to remember considering that it all happened like a hundred years ago, and that you produced hundreds of albums, but this is my favourite album of all times, (and the favourite album of other thousands of Queensryche fans) and I/they always had questions about it. We asked the guys in Queensryche about it, but they keep going on with the vampires ....:)
Thanx, vous etes un homme veritable

The lyrics of the album are loosely based on Anne Rice's "Interview..." so it's true that there is a vampire theme. I can't give any other alternative if you choose to interpret it differently though can I?

The hi-tech approach was a sonic aspect. We all wanted the album to have a "cold hi-tech sound" and all agreed on that. It wasn't MY idea exactly, but I was certainly able to provide it. When I started working with the band the lyrics were mostly already written (apart from a couple of things I think) so the lyrics were not written round any idea of mine.

Neil K.