Queensryche

JonnyD

Chef Metal
Jun 4, 2002
The Metal Kitchen
www.myspace.com
About a month or so Back I saw Queensryche and Symphony X! And I must Say Symphony X was impressive! I wish they were the Headlining band! Queensryche on the other hand put me to sleep I am I the only one this has ever happened too?

JonnyD said:
About a month or so Back I saw Queensryche and Symphony X! And I must Say Symphony X was impressive! I wish they were the Headlining band! Queensryche on the other hand put me to sleep I am I the only one this has ever happened too?
Well, I've seen Symphony X headline twice and both times they were cut an hour short because of the stupid venues they played at.

I almost paid the $40 just to go see them open for QR. I'm a big fan of QR too, but I just saw them in August and they're not like they used to be.

It's been years since I have seen Queensryche, but then again it has been years since they put out a release I like...... I am sure I would enjoy the classic parts of their set, but there aren't many bands that will be able to stack up to SX's perfectionism. Queensryche gets kudos for being around a long time and being very influential, but SX is a very professional band and they don't miss a note. They played "The Odyssey" in it's entirity at Prog Power IV. It was amazing.

Bryant

WIntersReflection said:
What bored you, do you dislike Queensryche's music, was it their choice of songs that night or did you just not care for the show?

I would like to say it was a combo of both The stuff they played from Mindcrime came across great but with how they had the Tables and chairs setup it felt like I was watching a Heavy Metal lounge act! it was VERY boring if there were no seats (like the time I saw Alice cooper at the same place) it probably would have been much better

The venue and circumstance plays a big role in a live show. You will get the right atmosphere at Prog Power. I have been to two PP concerts and of the many many concerts I have ever seen, they rank first and second.

Bryant

To be honest my friend Jonny D, I don't think the problem was any lack of a performance from the mighty Ryche but more that they just performed a lot of laid back songs... unfortunately their hearts have been in the "relaxed" music zone for some time now (although I've heard that Michael is trying to talk Geoff into doing something heavy)... and like you I really want them to just pull out something heavy as can be and do some serious rocking, I do have to say that their latest release is in the right direction... at least its quality laid back, lol. :) Just my opinion.

mmm I don't think the latest release is in the right direction, lots of fans say that because it sounds heavier, still it remains uninspired in my opinion.
I take their past ballads over their new "heavy" stuff any day.

WIntersReflection said:
To be honest my friend Jonny D, I don't think the problem was any lack of a performance from the mighty Ryche but more that they just performed a lot of laid back songs... unfortunately their hearts have been in the "relaxed" music zone for some time now (although I've heard that Michael is trying to talk Geoff into doing something heavy)... and like you I really want them to just pull out something heavy as can be and do some serious rocking, I do have to say that their latest release is in the right direction... at least its quality laid back, lol. :) Just my opinion.

Well I have to admit to not being a Big Ryche Fan in the First place I'm more of a old Fates Warning guy hahahahaha But they did perform well I cant say that they didnt They almost put me to sleep and that never happens hahahahaha another thing I take into consideration is the Morbid Angel/Suffocation/Satyricon show that I caught the week before ..... the feeling total Danger and Chaos I got from that show hadnt worn off yet .... but most of it was the seating Arrangements the last time I went to that Place Alice Cooper was playin and there was NO seats or Tables just an open floor the way I like it I was disapointed from the moment I walked through the door and When SX only got about 45 mins to play that Bothered me too and then The Ryche puts me to sleep with a 5 song acoustic set the whole thing was almost a bust with exception of Symphony X They Were Awsome! and the Reason why I was at the show

Fangface said:
mmm I don't think the latest release is in the right direction, lots of fans say that because it sounds heavier, still it remains uninspired in my opinion.
I take their past ballads over their new "heavy" stuff any day.
\

Operation Mindcrime more or less completely blew me away for probably six months straight, but you couldn't make a greatest hits from everything they have released after that and equal O:M. I mean I liked Promised Land too, but Queensryche set some great standards for themselves with O:M and have failed miserably since.
It's easily understandable that the creative well dried up to some degree with age and success, but I don't think they have given their best effort in many years.

Bryant

I love Queensryche. I even like Hear In The Now Frontier and Tribe. I hate Q2K , but that's a different story. I saw them live last year with Dream Theater, and found them to be quite enjoyable live. Not boring at all. Maybe it's just me. And maybe the setlist was better.

If it weren't for Savatage I'd say it wasn't POSSIBLE to write two records as good as Mindcrime! :headbang:

I hope Queensryche does though, lol Savatage are in the lead now on my goofy little sheet (I keep a sheet where I keep track of who I'm listening to the most. I know theres charts for who is the most popular online but I only care about who's the most popular with ME :loco: ;) ) Actually, Savatage were in the lead BEFORE I heard Mindcrime and were really close behind Queensryche until they released Poets and Madmen and then BOY did they pass them! :) So I'm waiting to see if Queensryche are going to rock like that again... I figured after something like Streets, that was it for how cool a band can get but the 'Tage prooved me wrong so... I'm ramblin again, aren't I? lol :lol:

Bryant said:
Operation Mindcrime more or less completely blew me away for probably six months straight, but you couldn't make a greatest hits from everything they have released after that and equal O:M. I mean I liked Promised Land too, but Queensryche set some great standards for themselves with O:M and have failed miserably since.
They also set standards with their previous albums in my opinion, especially Rage for Order which was a risky and experimental album at the time.... and what a masterpiece!

we waaaaalk in the shaaaaaAAAAAAdOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOooowwwwwsss

:worship:

WIntersReflection said:
If it weren't for Savatage I'd say it wasn't POSSIBLE to write two records as good as Mindcrime! :headbang:

I hope Queensryche does though, lol Savatage are in the lead now on my goofy little sheet (I keep a sheet where I keep track of who I'm listening to the most.l :lol:
If I made up one of those sheets from when I started listening to metal, it would take 10 years for a band to catch up to Accept. They are the only older band that I have never burned out on. There is something magical about their music in my ears, despite some bad and strange lyrics here and there. And though they have a good catalog, two-thirds of my listening is from only two of their releases.
Not to try and suck up to Tad Morose with this being their message board, but if they sounded any better, my head would fall off. TM pretty much reached down my mouth and pulled my skeleton out, and they are the best band I have discovered since Vanden Plas five or six years ago, but I don't know if 20 years from now I will be listening to TM and VP.

Bryant

Fangface said:
They also set standards with their previous albums in my opinion, especially Rage for Order which was a risky and experimental album at the time.... and what a masterpiece!

we waaaaalk in the shaaaaaAAAAAAdOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOooowwwwwsss

:worship:
Oh I gree Fang. Most QR fans fave are either RFO or OM. I think RFO is awesome, but I prefer Mindcrime.

Bryant

Here's my Queensryche's top albums :)

1/ Operation Mindcrime
2/ Rage for Order
3/ The Warning
4/ Empire
5/ Promised Land
6/ Hear in the New Frontier / Q2K / Tribe (I like 2 songs off each one...)