Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime Act II

Xerofall

Norseman
Apr 6, 2004
SLC Utah
Is anyone else interested in Queensryche? I've been a huge fan since 1987, and I'm seriously hoping their Mindcrime Act II will be good and not blow chunks.

I've loaded my iPod wil every Queensryche album they have and it's interesting to listen to their style progress from the goofy old 80's metal on the EP to Tribe, they got really good from Rage for Order to Mindcrime, then tapered off with Empire, but then I really enjoyed Promised Land.

Anyway... I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming album. How about you?

I remember a thread about this from a while back (because I started it :D). To reiterate: I am very nervous about Operation: Mindcrime 2. Rather than coming up with a sequel they should just not do it at all. What can they work with? Last I heard Nikki was in a mental hospital. I think they're trying too hard, and they should just leave a classic as it is. But it would be cool to see the whole album performed. Too bad they're coming to NY on a school night. :bah: Anyway, I like Rage for Order more than Mindcrime.

I'm a little worried, too. It's not like QR's last albums have been on par with their early work, anyhow. Still, I'm curious to know, so I've already purchased my tix for their show here in Phoenix where they'll be playing O:MC 1 entirely, and part of 2.

I wasn't too thrilled with the stuff after Empire. I think I listened to Promised Land 3 times after it was released. I've only listened to Tribe a few times. I was hoping that DeGarmo's influence would be bigger than it was. I sure miss his writing and playing.

Everything after Promised Land (and including some of Promised Land) has been crap. I think MCII is an attempt to win back some of the dwindling fan base. I'm pretty sure it won't come close to the original and will be the final nail in their coffin....at least for me anyway.

Xerofall said:
Anyway... I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming album. How about you?
Who? Oh, That band that had some really cool albums and then spiraled to abyssmal lows at the turn of the century. Eh, to each their own, but frankly I'm not even the least bit excited about the concept of OM:2. It's about a decade too late. I'd love for the band to prove me wrong, but I have no faith in that happening.

Glenn

SoundMaster said:
Do we know that they actually will? Have they stated as such? Just curious....
All I know is the one track I've heard thus far was very "retro" Ryche IMO. The song sounded like it could have been a B-Side to the original O:M or a track they never used. I think this album could be great. We'll see...

OdinsCourt said:
All I know is the one track I've heard thus far was very "retro" Ryche IMO. The song sounded like it could have been a B-Side to the original O:M or a track they never used. I think this album could be great. We'll see...
Wow! That's good to hear! Although I do really like "Tribe" and "Hear", I, of course, prefer the sound/style of their classic era!

I hate their stuff after Mindcrime. They allowed themselves to be too influenced by the record industry which ditched them after Empire.

I think they're trying to follow a Dream Theater model with the continuation of Metropolis part 1 and the Scenes From a Memory album. In fact, that album was a bit of a tribute to QR and O:M.

Lots of their problems come from DeGarmo's absence. Whatever it is between those guys, they can't bury the hatchet enough. Unfortunately, the fans get caught in the mix, like when they acted like Chris was back when he was only a session musician.

you mean that band that is arguably the first prog-metal band ever? oh yeah. those guys.

Seriously, Mindcrime is my fav. QR album, so if they're going back to that sound AT ALL, I'm psyched!

And I'm psyched to have tickets to see them do all of O:M again. yeah!

Is DeGarmo part of the project or a session player again? And why the hell did he leave in the first place?

If the album is good, I will buy it, along with the remastered O:M 1. As far as a comeback, it has yet to be seen because they could only bring it together for one album then fail again. The difference between them and DT was that when DT released SFAM, they were still rising in popularity. QR is essentially over, as is Fates Warning.

I realize that this is a few days late, but I wanted to post part of an interview with Eddie Jackson on www.rockconfidential.com.

How is it you're incorporating a preview of Operation:Mindcrime II? Is it a live preview, audio samples, video...
What we've put together is a video with a song that's potentially going to be on the next release. As of right now we're really looking for a sequel to Operation:Mindcrime. As soon as we're off stage - the last song is "Eyes Of A Stranger" - as soon as we walk off the video comes on with the new music. It's almost like a pseudo-encore. It's not really us performing but it's us giving them an audio track of a song that could be on the next release with a video behind it. We don't know if something like that has ever been done before. You'll see Operation:Mindcrime with the roman numeral II on the monitors. The fans get a kick outta that. There's a lot of anticipation for a sequel. I have a lot of mixed emotions with this because there is something magical and spiritual. There is integrity and the whole chemistry we had when we created the first Mindcrime. To do a follow-up for that is like, do we wanna mess with the mojo, ya know? You're gonna hear that throughout the course of the tour. Some fans will say it takes a lot of guts to do something like that, especially with the success of the first one. There's other fans that are saying they can't wait for the sequel. Some fans have been waiting for the sequel ever since the first one was released 16 years ago. It's a tough pill to swallow. All you can do is write the best you can. We really have no control over what it's going to do when it's released, how it's going to perform sales-wise. Hopefully it will connect.

It really sounds like you have some hesitations to do a sequel. Did the whole band question even doing the sequel?
We've been talking about that throughout the years. That's why it's never happened. We all tried to figure out if that was something we wanted to do. Fans are still wondering what happened to Mary and what happened to Nikki and Dr. X. Were they related? It's amazing how the fans are just reaching for these answers. Do we even want to miss with that? There's the hesitation you were talking about. Do we really wanna approach this? Maybe it is time. It's hard to say. We all have some mixed emotions about that. It can only help, ya know?

Was the original Mindcrime written with every intention of doing a sequel? Did you have the answers to questions like the ones you just brought up or are you having to think up a new story with the answers?
It's definitely like Operation:Mindcrime in the new millennium. Sonically it could sound different. Stylistically it could sound different. We're still trying to capture that same sort of sequel feel like they do in movies. Some characters are gone but you'll maybe create new characters to keep the story going. We never really anticipated doing a sequel, let alone still doing this 20 years later! Since this is happening, Mindcrime is definitely a lot more popular now that it was when it was first released. That's interesting because there's a whole new generation of fans being exposed to it. You've got to "Speak the word," ya know?

I saw you guys in '90 when you had Suicidal Tendencies opening. You did a version of Mindcrime then. What are you doing differently this time out?
Without giving too much away we have arranged some of the songs a little differently. There are some props and live actors. You're gonna get your video accompanying the music, too.

Since you're obviously working on Mindcrime II, how hard is it to write a song that can be delivered to radio when you know upfront that you have to write songs that follow a very strict story line? It can't be easy to write a song that follows a script and make it vague enough to where you can dig the song and not really know the story of Operation:Mindcrime.
Good question. I don't know if we've ever written songs exclusively for radio. Perhaps it might sound like I'm full of shit! Honestly, we write what we feel. If it connects, it connects. "Silent Lucidity" wasn't even going to be on Empire. We just didn't feel it was gonna fit. Our producer encouraged us to put it on there and look what it did. We had no anticipation it was gonna take off and be in the Top 5. This time around, writing a sequel, the pressure is on. There's more pressure now because we've created something and now we're trying to expand on it. Before we were just writing what we felt. I don't know what to expect but I hope our fans are open-minded. I think we've been very fortunate to have a fan base like that so we can evolve and experiment with our music. They allow us to do what we want to do. I hope this time around they appreciate that as well. We not only have to create a new story line but we've got to create the music to work alongside it. We're all up for the challenge.

So how far along are you with the songwriting process?
It's hard to say. We have quite a bit of material written. Half the material has lyrics that we feel could be complete songs. As it always happens you'll start to rearrange songs before you go into the studio. That's inevitable. Ever since we've been recording it's been very rare if we've written a song that's complete and not had to tamper with it.

Not many people take on the job of writing a concept record. I'm sure you want to make sure the music flows well while also keeping the story in order. Do you write the music first and piece the songs together or do you write the lyrics first? I could be a dumbass and it doesn't even work that way!
Don't flatter yourself! I think in the past we've written music before lyrics. Geoff might have a lyrical idea that we might have written music to. I'd say 80-90% of the time you're gonna get the music first. Since we're recording the sequel they're gonna have to go hand-in-hand. This is an exception to what we normally do.

There is a big difference in the band from the original Mindcrime - Chris DeGarmo is gone. Has he been asked or is he interested in contributing to the Mindcrime sequel?
There has been talk. Nothing has developed. It's hard to say because he stepped out in '97. He did help write on the Tribe record. There was always that possibility of him coming back and writing with us for the sequel. Whether it will or not remains to be seen. I think it'd be great to bring him back because he was part of the first Mindcrime. Stylistically it would definitely have that cohesiveness. Mike Stone's a very talented guitar player. He's got a little different style from what Chris had. That's not a bad thing. Maybe that's good. Do we want to create the same style like we did in the past? It has to have it's intensity and it's dynamics because it's 16 years later. Maybe it's not a bad idea to write the sequel with a different guitar player.

I'm a real sucker for guitar tones. Do you think the guitar tones will be similar to the first Mindcrime or is that the wrong thing to wish for?
For cohesiveness and to have it sound similar to the first one would be great. You're talking about a different engineer, a different producer. It's hard to say whether it's going to have the same sort of feel. We're doing what we can to make that happen. I thought there was a certain style to Operation:Mindcrime. To have that same style 16 years later...will it fit with the new styles of music out there? Radio has changed so drastically it's a whole different world now. It's a whole different industry now. I guess change is inevitable.

1.) Screens? I've never been a fan of screens at shows. Light travells faster than sound, and with my luck if I do go to the show I'll get crappy seats and then everything on the screens will be out of sync and lame.

2.) I still don't think the CD will be solid but one can only hope.

OdinsCourt said:

So now they've decided to go back to a sound that's more similar to what fans are used to hearing, huh? What does that say about them as a whole? Put out some crap like Tribe, see that it doesn't sell for shit and then decide to do a sequel to an album that is probably the most Metal-sounding in their whole catalog.

Nice, huh? Follow the dollar, Geoff.