Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime Act II

Eddie's enthusiasm towards a sequel sounds very tentative at points...if the band doesn't sound like they're 100 percent behind it, I think it only proves they're doing it for the money. I have no problem with them performing the original again, but they should just leave it be.

I find it funny that if you want to join the QR forum, you must pay. Quite fascinating. Perhaps they need the money that bad. Perhaps the ones who are willing to pay won't spam the hell out of it with words of distaste and the crap they're pawning off on us.

sknight said:
. QR is essentially over, as is Fates Warning.
imo Fates Warning has been putting out quality albums recently. i think FWX is great, but the lyrics to "handful of doubt" might forshadow your prediction that they are calling it quits.

as for OM 2: the interview sounded good until the last question:

Geoff Tate: I thought there was a certain style to Operation:Mindcrime. To have that same style 16 years later...will it fit with the new styles of music out there? Radio has changed so drastically it's a whole different world now. It's a whole different industry now. I guess change is inevitable.

i don't like the sound of that. it smells like control. controlled by radio, industry, and the very media moguls that OM:1 took aim at.

Walter_Langkowski said:
So now they've decided to go back to a sound that's more similar to what fans are used to hearing, huh? What does that say about them as a whole? Put out some crap like Tribe, see that it doesn't sell for shit and then decide to do a sequel to an album that is probably the most Metal-sounding in their whole catalog.

Nice, huh? Follow the dollar, Geoff.

I'm not sure if that's fair... as a band gets older their styles change and evolve.

Happens to a lot of bands, they stop drinking, doing drugs and they settle down get married, have kids... that affects your style conciderably.

Their evolution has to take place otherwise they'd keep putting out the same album every two or three years and that can destroy a band sometimes. They can get stagnant.

I'm not a huge fan of Tribe nor of Q2K, but since grunge/alternative shit killed US metal, they have to evolve. Metallica did it to survive, not many other American metal bands survived the Alternative scene.

Also... of course he's following the dollar... aren't we all? :D

Xerofall said:
I'm not a huge fan of Tribe nor of Q2K, but since grunge/alternative shit killed US metal, they have to evolve. Metallica did it to survive, not many other American metal bands survived the Alternative scene.

Also... of course he's following the dollar... aren't we all? :D

Hopefully they can evolve some more. Q2K and Tribe didn't exactly bring the money flowing back in. Sure, bands change as they mature, but it doesn't mean that they produce better music.

Queensryche is in a lose lose situation. If they do Mindcrime 2, they set it up to be compared to what many consider to be their best album. They also hear the cries of "following the dollar.." etc.

What do some of you want from these guys? Seems to me it is a bit unfair, they've always been about experimentation.

I wait, curious.

As far as Fates Warning goes, I hear there's a new video being made for Simple Human and that work has already begun on a new album.

I just heard Operation Mindcrime last night for the first time. From the moment I started reading the lyrics while listening to the music, I could not turn away. One listen and this has become one of my favorite albums of all time.

Oh yeah, I found a website that says what really happened to Mary (just revealed last year). I'm not sure if it's much of a secret but if you don't know, then PM me if you want the link.

-Kronikle

Kronikle66 said:
I just heard Operation Mindcrime last night for the first time. From the moment I started reading the lyrics while listening to the music, I could not turn away. One listen and this has become one of my favorite albums of all time.

Oh yeah, I found a website that says what really happened to Mary (just revealed last year). I'm not sure if it's much of a secret but if you don't know, then PM me if you want the link.

-Kronikle

I have never listened to a concept album because of the story

but thats just me :D

I saw the show last night. They were up there with Maiden in terms of perfect performance. Geoff Tate was incredible. The hits of the past set was pretty good. I guess that QR has read some fan reviews because much of the fan feedback was that they didn't play anything older than Empire. Last night they played Take Hold of the Flame, perfectly. It was pretty awesome to hear the whole crowd singing along.

The Mindcrime set was jaw dropping. Some of the arrangements had been changed, but the songs still had all of their power. The onstage acting was OK. Eyes of a Stranger was particularly impressive as Geoff sang it whilst in a straight-jacket, the microphone tucked into a loop on the chest. The man hit every note with ease.

The sneak preview of MC:II was only a recored playback. They didn't perform it. It sounded much like stuff off of Tribe.

I saw QR play last week in SF again, it was awesome to say the least. my 13th or 14th time seeing them. My 2nd time seeing them perform Operation Mindcrime. If the song Hostage is any example of the rest of OM: II think QR will have done OM: I justice. We will just have to wait and see.

Bear

Well, as long as the forums and the additional info on the QR site is closed to everyone except paying members, they can go f**k themselves. That means they don't have any real clue about what the fans want. They're only in touch with the core of lemming like fans that will march into the water with them.

Who's playing guitars live with them?

Any news on DeGarmo and the writing?

This cant be good....First you cant just put a "masterpice" together, second if your last 4 efforts suked your 5th and 6th will to. Changeing the name of the album making it the same as something good you did 100 years ago will not make it good. It will not be good.