Quesion for Sonm/ Band

Black Tears

Still in the Dark
Sep 27, 2003
Naples
What kind of effects proecessor(s) did you use for the guitars on Tears of Moral Solitude? And...What kind of keyboards did you use?

My band is getting ready to do some recording, and I think the sound you guys have on the CD is great :)

Thanks :) We used Boss GT-3 and Roland XP - 30 . And the whole bunch of different Sonic Foundry and Steinberg plug-ins.

Hmm...

Do you know what effect you used for the distortion on the beginning of Mel Kor? I have a boss GT-6, and haven't been able to find one that sounds exactly like it, just somewhat similar.

Haha, hopefully I can come across a Roland keyboard...we've been using korg and casio :ill:

2 Black Tears
Well, actually Omin was "building" sound himself, we didn't use any standard patch as far as I know.

I don't want to hassle you...but do you think you can get Omin to give me the settings he used (if he knows). Don't worry about it if its too much trouble though :)

Well, even if he gave you the sound, it wouldn't sound like the record, since you guys probably tracked the guitars over and over am I right (at least double tracked them?)? But just try recording some riff this way with the one that comes close to the sound you want and the saturation of two or more guitars will probably give you that extra umph you were looking for in the tone.

No problem I guess. I will ask Omin and Berserk to post their processors' settings.
And Leper Afinity was right, all guitars are double tracked. Well of course it very much depends on any step in the recording link including the position of microphons. But settings will be posted as soon as I kick Omin's ass, ask him figuratively speaking!:)))))))

Sonm said:
No problem I guess. I will ask Omin and Berserk to post their processors' settings.
And Leper Afinity was right, all guitars are double tracked. Well of course it very much depends on any step in the recording link including the position of microphons. But settings will be posted as soon as I kick Omin's ass, ask him figuratively speaking!:)))))))

thanks a lot :)

Well.. What can I say...
I can check up my proccessor and find that pacth I used. But why don`t you consider such important thing like guitar itself?

I used Russtone and even don`t know name of this model exactly. If i played other my guitar - Vantage using this proccessor`s patch, i get rather different sound...

If it is interesting, here the guitars stuff used on the "Tears..." Only what I remember.

Guitars - Russtone and Vantage
Proccessor - Boss GT-3
Combo - Randall (100 Watt)
Microphone Sehnheiser (don`t remember what kind of)

presets on the proccessor (approximately )

Dist - Type - Metal1 (GT-6 has other names for types of effects)
Preamp - Metal I+II with Middle gain and Middle frequency range set to zero.
And, "hand-made" compressor and chorus.

You scooped the amplifiers on "Tears..."?! Also, is that Randall a solid state amp you used, or was it a valve randall combo? I can't believe you guys actually microphoned the guitars through this, seems like it would just be easier to line in from the effects pedal. But the tone sounds good enough to me, so I won't complain!

I think it was transistor based combo. We believe that using microphone is the only reasonable way of recording guitar. Line in doesn't rule at all as the sound gets flat and pale. Of course it is much easier, but it's not the way it is recommended I reckon.

Yes, very true words you speak Sonm, but many bands I have heard achieve an amazing line in tone on these forums, so I think if you really know what you're doing it can be done. Up to now Ive recorded line in (except for acoustic guitars) and I just won an auction for a Laney VC30 valve combo, so hopefully my line in ways will change.

Now Im wondering, what kind of things did you do production wise to this album? Did you mess with the EQ a lot for all the instruments, I know you mentioned plugins. It does sound very well done and professional considering where you recorded it, it's really inspired me as I have said before.

Thanks for the settings Omin!

As for the recording type, Leper /-\fiinity...it just sounds so much more "real" when you record live as opposed to digital (direct line-in), atleast that would be my humble opinion.

Well, I suggest you head on over to the Andy Sneap forums and check out what some of the members there have to offer, some really great line in recordings I tell you!! Also, I believe that Vehemence's "God Was Created" was recorded directly from Pods, and that sounds killer!

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Well, I suggest you head on over to the Andy Sneap forums and check out what some of the members there have to offer, some really great line in recordings I tell you!! Also, I believe that Vehemence's "God Was Created" was recorded directly from Pods, and that sounds killer!

when i record with my Pod, it sounds like garbage :ill:

Well, you really have to know what you're doing. Would you care to post a small clip of one of your Pod line in recordings? Maybe we can figure out what is making it sound not so pleasant and help you in your recording endeavors.