Question for Sonm

Jan 18, 2005
States
I know it is very popular for successful Russian or other European metal bands to write and sing in English, usually the reason being either cause they like it more, the flow and the style, and or they rely on English speaking audience. Have you ever considered or tried doing something in your native language. You did a great job with vocals on the album. I'd imagine a Slavic language would be somewhat of a challange.

Well... You know, English is a very convenient for writing lyrics. Somehow words aren't really long or well mating. Sometimes it can look like it sounds rhymed even if there is no rhyme at all in terms of words. I personally think that Russian is much better to speak, because there are so many tiny features, which allow to add some touches to your speech. For instance in Russian we use diminutives for nouns, adjectives, verbs, even personal pronounы (although quite rare). We use virtual words and stuff. Sentences are more flexible in Russian. You can't say "Love you I" in English, but that makes a certain sense in Russian. And it's different than "I you love", which is also correct in Russian but makes slightly different meaning or, better say, mood.
But that's why it would be a nightmare to write lyrics in Russian. It's too flexible...
You feel how it should sound, but then if you put it in a song it does sound ugly. Beautiful, if just said, but ugly if used as a lyrics. Nowadays you can hear many examples of undeniably imbecillic lyrics. For instance:
Quanta Costa (have no clue what that means)
Kak vsyo prosto - (How simple everything is)
Ya poverila seryozno (I believed seriously) - {What the hell would that mean? You can either believe or not, but how can one believe seriously?? And then it just doesn;t say anything about WHAT or WHO she believed into (to). Sounds like she believed in God seriously. Okay let's assume that's the case, but then it turns to be...}
Ty sprosil u lifta stoya {You asked, standing in front of the elevator}
Skol'ko tvoyo serdce stoit? {What's the price of your heart?}{Jesus's heart? Her heart? Elevator's heart? Why elevator? Who - You? And what did she believe into?}

See? It can be very funny if you write just to have the rhyme... And if there is no rhyme, it doesn't sound good. One has to be gifted to write a good song.
Sop far I know only one example of good lyrics in Russian - KINO...
But maybe I'll try myself one day.

Sonm said:
Well... You know, English is a very convenient for writing lyrics. Somehow words aren't really long or well mating. Sometimes it can look like it sounds rhymed even if there is no rhyme at all in terms of words. I personally think that Russian is much better to speak, because there are so many tiny features, which allow to add some touches to your speech. For instance in Russian we use diminutives for nouns, adjectives, verbs, even personal pronounы (although quite rare). We use virtual words and stuff. Sentences are more flexible in Russian. You can't say "Love you I" in English, but that makes a certain sense in Russian. And it's different than "I you love", which is also correct in Russian but makes slightly different meaning or, better say, mood.
But that's why it would be a nightmare to write lyrics in Russian. It's too flexible...
You feel how it should sound, but then if you put it in a song it does sound ugly. Beautiful, if just said, but ugly if used as a lyrics. Nowadays you can hear many examples of undeniably imbecillic lyrics. For instance:
Quanta Costa (have no clue what that means)
Kak vsyo prosto - (How simple everything is)
Ya poverila seryozno (I believed seriously) - {What the hell would that mean? You can either believe or not, but how can one believe seriously?? And then it just doesn;t say anything about WHAT or WHO she believed into (to). Sounds like she believed in God seriously. Okay let's assume that's the case, but then it turns to be...}
Ty sprosil u lifta stoya {You asked, standing in front of the elevator}
Skol'ko tvoyo serdce stoit? {What's the price of your heart?}{Jesus's heart? Her heart? Elevator's heart? Why elevator? Who - You? And what did she believe into?}

See? It can be very funny if you write just to have the rhyme... And if there is no rhyme, it doesn't sound good. One has to be gifted to write a good song.
Sop far I know only one example of good lyrics in Russian - KINO...
But maybe I'll try myself one day.

Sounds complicated...

I've tried to write a song in Polish...haha I showed it to my grandmother and she said only like 3 lines made sense :p

I would always try writing in Russian and wonder why it is as hard as it is. Your right though, It is very flexible which makes it extremely hard to make it sound good while keeping to honoroble choice of words. The poetry I wanna say sounds better in Russian for its just spoken and not sung. And yes I am a good fan of Viktor Tsoi. Do yuo like any other russian bands like Aria or Alisa? Sergei Marvin?

I am afraid the only russian non-metal band I like is Kino. Very original and atmospheric. I don't find others to be as interesting as Kino. But there were a couple of singers and instrumentalists, as they were called, whom I must admit I really like.