Vattenskjul

hibernal_dream

A Mind Forever Voyaging
Jul 10, 2001
Grave with a view
Why don't Opeth sing in Swedish? It's their native language, it fits the music and it sounds better than English. It is just a trend followed by European bands since Abba, or is there a genuine reason for it?

What do you think?

I think it's an aesthetic choice. Also, english makes the music a lot more accessible to people all over the world. I can honestly say I don't think they would have this level of success if they had sung in swedish.

(not that I think swedish is an unaesthetic language or anything, I'm norwegian myself. practically the same language. :p)

Many of the Successful Black Metal bands (especially Norwegian) sing in their native tongue, I guess it depends on the fan-base too..record companies wouldnt want to sell a dead horse because the band isnt selling due to the lyrics, so they make them sing English for commercial reasons.
Personally if a band comes from somewhere like Norway, Latvia, Sweden, wherever I prefer them to sing in their language, get a bit of diversity in my collection instead of just English lyrics all the time.

Diversity of language is great, yeah. But am I wrong when I say that only black metal bands that sing in a native language do well internationally? I say that because I feel that internationally successful artists from Norway always sing in english - excluding certain black metal bands. Of course, this might apply to other genres in other countries.

I guess Black Metal bands are more reliant on the Artist rather than the labels (hence why few Black Metal bands are signed up to large label companies.)
This gives the artists freedom to express themselves in their music, some artists sing completely in Norwegian whereas others adopt Norwegian language to fit the atmosphere of a certain song. Some bands even adopt both English AND Norwegian on their albums, such as Darkthrone and Carpathian Forest...simply because theres nothing limiting them to do so.

^hmm, some people get bothered by vocals sung in another language, if the music is good enough, I'm not phased, bands like Alcest or Negura Bunget for example and musically amazing imo, so I'm not phased by another language. But in terms of it being in Opeth, I can't really image it, but musically they are amazing as well. So I don't think my view of them would be any different. But I only speak English fluently so it does obviously make it easier. That whole thing about bm bands changing to singing in English being "selling out" is stupid.

^ Sorry, was using message as kind of a broad thing, basically meant that most people tend to rely heavily on lyrics whether they realise it or not, and if you want more people to listen to what music you have to put out there then doing it in English will hook more people than singing in Swedish.

That doesn't make sense. If Mike has any message, surely it's purely musical.

Yeh thats true, but my point was that basically opeth wouldnt reach as wide of an audience if they sung in swedish, which has been expressed a little by people here already

^hmm, some people get bothered by vocals sung in another language, if the music is good enough, I'm not phased, bands like Alcest or Negura Bunget for example and musically amazing imo, so I'm not phased by another language. But in terms of it being in Opeth, I can't really image it, but musically they are amazing as well. So I don't think my view of them would be any different. But I only speak English fluently so it does obviously make it easier. That whole thing about bm bands changing to singing in English being "selling out" is stupid.

I dont think that I would like it at all if I could not understand the lyrics. I would like the music, but it would not be catchy.

Mix

It wouldnt bother me personally, but then opeth may not have reached Australia if they didnt sing in English. Some people just have trouble appreciating the musical side of things, which is especially apparent where i live

Why don't Opeth sing in Swedish? It's their native language, it fits the music and it sounds better than English. It is just a trend followed by European bands since Abba, or is there a genuine reason for it?

What do you think?

SO I CAN LISTEN TO THEM. PERIOD. (I'm kidding by the way)

I don't think opeth would ring better in swedish, to me it would be too weird listening to a band that sounds giberish. I don't think Opeth would have as big an audience as they have now. I love Opeth lyrics, and it's essential for me to understand them without translation (I'm hebrew but I understand English real well. Lived in the states a bit)

They wouldn't be as popular no. But I'm from oz as well and as I was saying bands like Alcest and Negura Bunget are bands that don't sing in English and I found them. But you are right about some people having problems with the language, as long as the music is fantastic, I'm not that phased, so tbh a band has to be pretty damn good to not sing in English and get a lot of my attention. Language had nothing to do with me finding it though, the net did, so I would have found Opeth either way, whatever language, maybe not as easily or as fast but would have found them eventually. As much as that's a little closed minded, it definitely makes getting into a band easier when you can understand the vocals.

..interesting..sometimes, with the growly singing the language could be anything for all I know!. I do like hearing bands sing in their native tongue, but I think it's difficult to appeal to a wider audience. Like it or not, English is as close to a world language as anything. In terms of numbers, I'm not sure, but I guess only Spanish and Mandarin could get close to challenge it...now, Opeth in Mandarin would be interesting!