Question about a Drummer...

Triggers.......actually one of the reasons he wasn't invited to replace Lombardo in Slayer.

HOWEVER, just because he uses triggers, does not mean that the guy is not a badass. He is. Just that the precision is not exactly all his doing......

I'm FAR from an expert when it comes to drums but I'd say Herrera uses something else to make his bass drum so fast. It doesn't seem humanly possible to play that fast without some kind of mechanical and/or electronic help.

He sure uses triggers. But believe me as a drummer. The triggers can't do anything with the speed you play. Neither can electronic drumpads. They can only "compress" your play, so that every single hit sounds exactly the same, and the sound is, like, coloured a little (it actually depends on how you "set" the trigger). For example, if you use trashcan instead of your snare (where have I seen that??) and put a trigger on it, you can choose the sound which you like (e.g. trashcan :)) and it doesn't really matter what you beat, actually. I personally think much of Herrera's studio play is more of a pro-tools thing (Digimortal drums sound very dynamically equal, robotish), but he DOES play that stuff live. And not only did I see Fear Factory live 3 times, I was at their soundcheck, as well. And I still think there are drummers who can play double bass even faster.

Well it's kinda like... you understand how guitar pickups work? That's exactly the same. You put a small device "trigger" on a drum head, and it "broadcast" your hits into another sound device, so you can elaborate with the sound of your drums.

There are studio musicians and other drummers out there that are freaks!!! I saw a drum clinic with a guy named Dom Fomuloso. He is this fifty year old, plain looking dude. The guy was un-freakin-beleivable. He was doing things with his hands, then matching them perfectly with his feet. All kinds of rudiments, flams, accents..........and at ridiculous speeds. Some of it just sounded like a Blur, especially to those who didn't know what they were witnessing or hearing.

There are ALOT of badassses out there. Just so happens that Anthrax has one of them!!! Ray Herrera does very little with his hands. That is what seperates Charlie from most other fast drummers. Matter of fact I can't remember a distinctive fill that Ray has ever done with his hands. However, he is a stud with his footwork. I love "What Will Become" off of Digimortal. Fucking good stuff.

oh and not forgetting jazz drummers: namely billy kilson (check out his work with the dave holland quintet). he's the best drummer i've ever seen live, no question.
also paco sery from ivory coast who plays with joe zawinul kills bigtime.
karim ziad from algeria also rules.