Question about Children of the Dream's lyrics...

Jack Nippleson
May 13, 2007
Been listening to this song a lot lately. Not sure if I'm just becoming an emotional wreck of a person or what, but I've always loved this song, and recently it's become pretty special to me.

There's a line in there that goes, "Funny how those memories resemble someone else's life," and I'm wondering what that actually means, if it has some personal significance or something, Steve?

Maybe it's because I'm turning 20 at the end of next month and this song really makes me think of how much time I wasted as a teenager, but it's probably my most special PQ song :lol:

(Anyone else is also welcome to pitch in and discuss ;))

Good question dude! :)

Here's what I was getting at in that lyric.......

As you get older (and I should know all about that lol!) and memories become more distant there is a tendency to look back on things with rose tinted glasses and sometimes it's almost like the actual reality of the memory is lost.....and almost becomes like it was someone else who experienced those things and not you.

A good example would be a girl you like when you are a teenager but you break up and are heart broken about it. 20 years later you think about the same situation in a completely different way. People often say "school days are the happiest days of your life"....and that can often be the case but think a bit longer and deeper about it and you soon remember things that you had pushed to the back of your mind, either because they were unpleasant experiences or things that you did that you really shouldn't have.

On the flipside of all that is the main message of the song.......while we are young and growing up we dream of what we could be or what we could achieve, but we should always live our lives that way I believe rather than accepting a particular path or way as our "lot" in life.

Hope that helps a little dude!

Excellent! Thanks for that, Steve. I had a feeling it was something like that, good to know! Great lyrics in that song...

Got a 7-8 hour drive here in a few minutes and the Quest will surely be spinning for a few hours :D

I had a feeling that's what the lyric meant but I was never sure. I'm only 18, still a youngin, but looking back at my memories when I was 2 or 3 it's totally different from now. Even the littlest things were amazing and happy and then you get older and the same things are just ordinary and bland. I would have to say that "Children of the Dream" is the most emotional Power Quest song for me, it can connect to you on a personal level very easily. Same with "When I'm Gone". It is really cool of you to explain the lyrics and such Steve! A lot of musicians wouldn't do that even if they had the time! Its nice to know that your music means as much to your fans as it means to you and vice versa I guess plus this way if there is a "questionable" lyric you can explain it before some wannabe Charlie Manson gets his ideas about it.

Yeah Steve is a really special guy, I almost always find some depth in the lyrics of most PQ songs....I think PQ is one of the most connected band to their fans.

1928: Funny how it's that very line that comes up, as I've always been very fond of that particular part of the song. And as AlexJacobii mentioned, I think "When I'm Gone" and "Children of the Dream" are two very special PQ songs, and a great way to "counter" all those speedy happy numbers (which is what I love about PQ, don't get any wrong impressions here.)

I'm kinda curious about that sentence that's stuck in my mind for a while, which is from the lyrics of when im gone

"and when I'm gone, the world carries on, and you must carry on too"

Who's gonna be gone? who must carry on? Maybe Steve would be able to explain

This is a more straight forward one I think.

It's the idea of losing a loved one.....with the lyric of the chorus being from the perspective of the person who is dying. Although it's the hardest thing in life to lose a partner, parent or child.....the world does indeed carry on and even when we suffer bereavement we have to carry on with our lives as that is what they would have wanted us to do.

I would have to say the two songs I mentioned are the most powerful to me. The thing I like about PQ is that the music itself is good but the lyrics are well written and usually appear to be written for a worldwide audience. For example most of the songs in the "Master of Illusion" album are tied to things that are going on in our world, the cool thing about that is PQ merely points these problems out and leaves the listener to decide who is to blame. It is nice that the songs do not really cater to any one group.

I particularly enjoy the magic of Hold On To Love. Now that is a quality song that everybody should enjoy!

It definitely does... one of the quintessential power metal albums for sure.

I would have to agree that the whole Magic Never Dies album has a great and original sound too it. The lyrics are catchy as hell and powerful. That album stands out to me and I always loved the song "Magic Never Dies", it is just so catchy but it has an epic feel to it.

It gets distribution a lot from illegal sharing now I think, and from people getting to know albums like Master of Illusion for example. So if they like it, they get desperate to hear the other PQ albums and so they encounter Magic Never Dies.

It's interesting really as that album is probably the least known of all our records due to the poor distribution it received at the time.

I'm quite surprised at that, it's a brilliant album. Definitely deserved good distribution!

Although perhaps it spans from my tendency with new artists to get their newer stuff first then work backwards.

It's interesting really as that album is probably the least known of all our records due to the poor distribution it received at the time.

No kidding? That's exactly the opposite I would have thought. That's a real shame... :erk: