question about mismatching cab impedance

tylerrr

Jun 17, 2010
Massachusetts
so I usually run two 4x12's in a live setting. right now both of my cabs are 16 ohms and I run my head at 8 ohms into those cabs and as far as I know that's the correct way to run both cabs. I'm looking into a different 4x12 right now though that is 8 ohms. if it is at all safe to do so, what should I have my head's output set to to run both a 16ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab? I know ideally, matching impedance is the best way to go, but I'm really interested in this cab. the head is a peavey 5150ii. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure on running both cabs at the same time tbh. As GGI said why do you feel the need to run 2 cabs at a live gig? I can run a 50w head into a 2x12 and have plenty volume, just seems like overkill to me to have a 120w head with 2 cabs...

Well first of all, my drummer plays incredibly loud, and I'm sure I'm going to get a bunch of, "dude, my drummer is the loudest drummer on earth and I get by with a 15 watt combo", but he is certainly the loudest drummer I'VE heard in a non mic'd kit setting. Second of all, my band isn't metal and we prefer a very loud overall sound that is guitar driven where vocals slip under the music slightly. Lastly, I just don't personally like that "broken up" sound. I know pushing a tube amp to a certain extent is necessary to achieve a good sound, but I prefer having the headroom to not have to have that broken up speaker sound and lose clarity especially on my cleans. Also, I wasn't asking whether I should run two cabs, I was simply asking for the safest way to do it in this situation, but whatever. I guess I'm not fully accustomed to the, "everyone is the most idiotic person in the world" forum attitude yet, so my bad.

Only do it if your head can run at 4 ohms. The 8 and 16 ohm cab together would run at around 5.3 ish ohms (if I'm doing my math correctly) so 4 ohms will work out just fine. If 8 ohms is your minimum, don't do it you'll burn up your head.

And btw I agree, I think more speakers sounds much better than fewer "pushed" speakers. Just depends on what you're going for.

So Wolfeman, I take it I'm misunderstanding? I thought it would pull too much current for an 8 ohm setting? I know you're awesome with this stuff, could you explain?

If you don't want to take a chance, you can always rewire the cab to be 16 ohms if that'd make you feel better. Or rewire one of your cabs to 8 ohms and run the amp at 4ohm.

Is rewiring the cab an option here? You may be able to adjust your 8 ohm cab to run at 16, if I can think of the right way to do so.

Thanks for the replies! From what other sources I've looked into, 5.3 ohms does seem to be the loud and the general consensus does seem to be that 4 ohms is my safest bet for this combo and my head can run at 4 ohms, so if I end up getting this other cab then that's what I'll do. I've also read that the 8 ohm cab will end up getting 2/3's of the power, but I'm not really worried about that. I'm literally clueless about wiring, which sucks for me because I know how handy it can be to know about it, but hopefully it's something I can get going with in the near future. Thanks again!