Question about mixing control surfaces.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
Why is there such a huge price difference?

Basically what would be nice is at least 6-8 faders. But when I find something I consider reasonable it's only half duplex (GHEY).

So I am thinking the Alphatrack is the way I am gonna go but it blows that I am stuck to one fader!

What would be awesome: Behringer BCF2000 with faders that acted like the one on the Alphatrack for a price of around $4-500 usd. This of course however doesn't exist.

FWIW, I had a Mackie Control for Sonar & sold it when I got SawStudio. The MC was a must-have for the former, & just slowed me down with the latter.

i've looked at stuff like the alphatrack, and the single-channel presonus controller, but i just can't justify spending cash on something that only controls a single channel at a time

for the $$, i think that the best deal for something looks like the tascam FW1082 for $600 - it's a full-featured interface, but you could skip on inputs/conversion if you don't need it. 9 faders, pan/EQ/all the typical DAW controls.

if you're cool with used shit, the Mackie Control has been going for $400-500 on ebay. pro to that one: you can add extenders. con: uses midi I/O only, so if you're like me and have no midi I/O, you'll have to drop $$ on a decent midi interface to go with.

Oz, I'm curious as to what sets SawStudio apart from other DAW's. I've heard you sing it's praises, but I haven't seen you specify what it is you like so much about it; is it an entirely different way of approaching the process? I would have to imagine so, if you felt that being able to control the faders in a tactile manner would slow you down.

Seriously man, go check out the website and watch the videos. It's a cool host that's written in a really basic code so it's supposed to be really stable and efficient. Looks cool but...I'll stick with my trusty Cubase.

~e.a

i've looked at stuff like the alphatrack, and the single-channel presonus controller, but i just can't justify spending cash on something that only controls a single channel at a time

for the $$, i think that the best deal for something looks like the tascam FW1082 for $600 - it's a full-featured interface, but you could skip on inputs/conversion if you don't need it. 9 faders, pan/EQ/all the typical DAW controls.

if you're cool with used shit, the Mackie Control has been going for $400-500 on ebay. pro to that one: you can add extenders. con: uses midi I/O only, so if you're like me and have no midi I/O, you'll have to drop $$ on a decent midi interface to go with.

Midi isn't the issue, the issue the the inclusion of an interface with a control desk. Basically I don't need or want to pay for another interface (I already have 3) just to control my daw. :cry:

Seriously man, go check out the website and watch the videos. It's a cool host that's written in a really basic code so it's supposed to be really stable and efficient. Looks cool but...I'll stick with my trusty Cubase.

~e.a

Yea those video's make it look sweet. If i ever left protools I would probly switch to saw studio!:kickass:

I don't need or want to pay for another interface (I already have 3) just to control my daw

i'm with you there...i have already have all the interfacing i need aside from midi, and would much rather have just the control surface. i'm guessing that the market for the interface/CS combos is larger than that of people who are looking for just the control surface.

it would be nice if somebody would ditch the i/o, and make an 8-channel control surface that retailed new for like $400. there's a few of them that are around that price, but they all look pretty cheap, and a few of them seem outright gimmicky. that said, i still don't find $500-600 to be too unreasonable for an 8-channel controller, even if it has an interface that i don't use.

i'm with you there...i have already have all the interfacing i need aside from midi, and would much rather have just the control surface. i'm guessing that the market for the interface/CS combos is larger than that of people who are looking for just the control surface.

it would be nice if somebody would ditch the i/o, and make an 8-channel control surface that retailed new for like $400. there's a few of them that are around that price, but they all look pretty cheap, and a few of them seem outright gimmicky. that said, i still don't find $500-600 to be too unreasonable for an 8-channel controller, even if it has an interface that i don't use.

Good point. So you get where I am coming from :D.