Console/Control Surface?

i LOVEEEE our Mackie Control Universal.

Did the ghetto overlay method and gaffed off all the labels under buttons and turned them to the Steinberg functions, haha

i might have to do the same thing haha. the hui overlay for pro tools is proving hard to find.

i will say that since i got the mackie my mixes have come together much faster and more organically. it helps me to just listen to levels rather than worry about the numbers on the screen. at first i was annoyed that the faders only go to +10db but it is actually a benefit in the end because nothing should really be at +12db anyways. If something sounds too low at +10db it forces me to go back and fix the underlying problem in the mix instead of just boosting things until they sound good.

If you're going to buy a control surface for PT, just bite the bullet and get an avid artist mix. Not only are they one of few controllers that are completely supported, but they are the absolute best controllers out there iMO.

Also you say you aren't in a hurry to upgrade, but that can change quite quickly and it would be horrible to buy one of these things and then have it useless to you in a year. Pay more now, and have a solid unit for 3-5 years.

However, I'd really suggest you rent/borrow any controller before you buy and spend a few months on it. I was totally amped when my studio partner bought a artist mix unit. The first few weeks I used it all the time, and as said above, my mixes came together quicker and more organically. But after less then a month, I never turned them on, and became quite bored with them pretty quick.

I've had the command 8 for over 2 years now and find it to be perfect for working with Pro Tools. For the price they go nowadays, i don't see them as being as useless as some people say they are. I probably wouldn't have payed 1k+ for it, but i got mine really cheap and i see them constantly sold for under 500$. Haven't had a single issue with mine since i got it.

I use mine all the time and i actually can't see myself working without a control surface of some kind anymore. For tracking or auditioning multiple mics for example, controller beats using a mouse any day. If your tracks are well organized, mixing on it is great too. You still need the mouse, it doesn't replace it since you only get 8 faders, but you can reposition the faders quickly with a shift+right click. This allows you to move quickly through your tracks and get your hands on faders for adjustments, rather than moving virtual faders on screen individually with the mouse. Being able to mute/unmute/solo multiple tracks simultaneously or quickly comes in handy as well. I often like to make adjustments with my eyes closed or looking down, this would be hard to do with a mouse in a quick and intuitive way.