Question about Multi velocity samples

FPSR

New Metal Member
Jul 10, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
This might be stupid question but when you get sample packs from example CJ's Gallows Kit and in the pack you get 5 hard hit and 6 crack hits etc. Do you use all 5 hard hits for example or do you just choose the one you like best for your mix and blend it with ssd/superior or whatever your main snare is? I am using Aptrigga for my samples.

You would use them with a sampler or drum replacement program that would cycle through the samples so as to not get the dreaded "machine gun" effect that would occur by using just one sample repeated over and over.

This. While multi-velocity samples are probably the most important factor in building realism into a sampled kit, multiple samples within a given velocity that can be triggered randomly are also important for getting the most natural sound you can. You can fake this effect with samplers that don't support random triggering, too. Just assign each of the samples to a slightly different MIDI velocity within the overall range. For example, if my 'hard' hits are going occupy a MIDI velocity range of, say, 85-115, I might assign random hit #1 to 85-88, #2 to 89-91, etc.

In your case, the "right" way to use those samples would be to load all 5 of them in Aptrigga, set it to random and that's it. It will trigger one of those five samples randomly every time the snare comes in and it will sound more realistic because it's not repeating the exact same sample over and over again.

I understand apptrigga only has 5 slots total?

If so, maybe you can copy the snare track 3-4 times and load every track with an instance of apprtrigga. Only with different samples and different tresholds to trigger. Ofcourse this would require more cpu and you'd manually have to delete all dual hits. Or side chain? Idk.

Thanks heaps guys, I think I understand it now. Just a couple more questions, aside from randomizing my drum hit velocities would you also do volume automation on your drum hits and with Slate Trigger are the TCI's used for it already set as multi velocity? I have been considering buying it recently.

Thanks heaps guys, I think I understand it now. Just a couple more questions, aside from randomizing my drum hit velocities would you also do volume automation on your drum hits and with Slate Trigger are the TCI's used for it already set as multi velocity? I have been considering buying it recently.

I'm not real familiar with Slate, but I'd be shocked if the included samples weren't multi-velocity. As far as volume automation goes, it really just depends on the song and on whether or not you think you need it. If you have a sample set with dozens of velocity layers and you use them effectively, you probably wont need to, but if you have just a handful of them, or if you're triggering and everything ends up more or less at the same volume/velocity, you'll probably find yourself wanting to automate a bit.