Question about sound cards

While I know that this thread title has been used before, my situation is a little different.

I currently purchased a cheap Dell Scratch/Dent to hold me over until I get a more powerful computer in about a year, and the integrated sound card doesn't work. I'd like to record on this computer as well as listen to music on it as well.

I plan on purchasing a Presonus Firepod sometime down the road, but I'd like to purchase a sound card that would be good for your everyday computer uses as well as basic recording.

What sound card would you guys recommend thats decent and relatively inexpensive.

Computer notes: 2 PCI Slots.
1 PCI Express

Also note that I have the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and for some reason...it doesn't fit into my computer. My thoughts...the PCI Express slots, and the lack of IDE Cable support or something. All I know is the cables I have in my computer now don't fit the card...any thoughts? Otheriwse I'm selling it.

ThatGuitarGuy said:
Also note that I have the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and for some reason...it doesn't fit into my computer. My thoughts...the PCI Express slots, and the lack of IDE Cable support or something. All I know is the cables I have in my computer now don't fit the card...any thoughts? Otheriwse I'm selling it.

Erm the audigy should fit in one of the normal pci slots, and IDE cables are for HDD's and Optical drives, NOT for soundcards.

yeah I figured it out...I feel like a dummy lol. It's been awhile since I had it installed in my last computer and I just gutted that one out recently and didn't think that I needed to look at the instructions.

Right...lol.

Guess I don't need a new sound card now lol.

Next improvements, a second SATA Drive, 2GB of memory, and a firepod...