Question about TS/TRS connectors

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey guys, I was wondering: if one were to use two female TRS connectors but with a two-conductor speaker cable between them, and only plugging in TS speaker cables on either side, would that still work? I ask because all the wall-jacks I can find only have female TRS connectors in 'em, and Panzer667's thread got me thinking...

There's no reason it should short out the cab. Right now I'm putting together an order from RedCo for some wall plates and connectors. After speaking with one of their reps they assured me that using TRS->TS makes no difference, because the "hot" and ground are still there. It's like going from stereo to mono...no big deal. I was curious about this myself because I wanted to have my cabinet in the live room and keep the heads in the mix/control room like we did at the last studio I worked at. We had a very elaborate patch bay too though, which I plan on having something similar. The patch bay will be all TRS, then from the back of the patch bay a TRS->XLR cable with the XLR end plugged into the wall plate and then on the other wall plate going from XLR->TS and into the cabinet. This way I can patch whichever head or preamp/poweramp combo I want into the same cab on the fly. This system worked out great at the old studio. And it looked cool as hell to boot.

~006

"XLR cable" doesn't actually exist... there's the cable commonly used in mics, but you can have all sorts of cable types and sizes between all sorts of plugs.

You won't 'short out' anything by plugging in a TRS to a TS socket... you'll lose whatever the Ring of the TRS jack was supposed to carry, but that's it.

As far as the original post... don't cross any wires the wrong way and you'll be fine. Unless you're using awful plugs and cable, you can certainly just use a double-female cord, just like you'd use an extension cord to plug a lawnmower in.

Electronics aren't that bloody complicated, people...

Jeff

Yeah I should have clarified - XLR only means the connector on the end. The cable itself can be whatever gauge and rating you need for any application...there are still the same amount of wires regardless of how big they are. Jeff knows better than anyone - electronics are not that complicated. It's simple. I never had to solder anything in my life, and then I got a job at a studio and I was given a spool of cable and a box of connectors and told "make 13 XLR cables and about 5 patch cables." That's how I learned how to make cables and solder. After the first cable or two I was a pro.

So yes, a cable designed to carry the loads of an amplifier to a cabinet will work, regardless of the connector on the end. This is the reason we could have XLR->TRS/TS and vice versa all over the place and use them for so many different applications and not worry about cables frying.

~006