question for ALL guitarists......

AtTheGates2099

I am one sick fuck
Oct 28, 2001
Dallas, TX U.S.A.
I want to get a guitar sound much like "The Gallery".....but slightly brutal sounding like the guitar tones on CARNAL FORGE's "Firedemon" CD....

I'm running through a crate blue voodoo half stack and a metal zone petal,....The metal zone, to me, is even better than amp distortion......For clean channels I run through a crappy D.O.D. pod 6 which I ONLY use for flanger, reverb, phaser, delay, etc......

HERE"S THE QUESTION......I'm thinking about getting a BOSS Gt-6 and getting rid of all of my FX......However, I don't really like a "processed" sound....I want a real brutal sound like I mentioned above, and I'm sceptical about the BOSS GT-6 being able to handle EVERYTHING I want it to do.....Plus, the thing is so big and complicating I wonder if I'll be able to figure out how the hell it works......cause if I pay a shitload for that thing and the settings suck, then I'm gonna be pissed!!! grrrr.....anyway....

OPINIONS PLEASE.....

And if Niklas or Martin are reading this....what brands and FX do you guys run through and what do you think will be the best, for the best sound.....Thanks a million.....

You have a blue voodoo and you're using a crappy MT2 Metal Zone? :guh:

If you like diode distortion better than what your head can do, try a Korg Hyper Distortion.... they come up on ebay, and they're the best sounding and most verstatile pedal in existence, IMO.

Well, Carnal Forge tunes down pretty far don't they? And The Gallery is mostly in E standard or E flat if I'm not mistaken. (though I might be, in both cases)

So that might present a problem.

BiatchGuy said:
Well, Carnal Forge tunes down pretty far don't they? And The Gallery is mostly in E standard or E flat if I'm not mistaken. (though I might be, in both cases)

So that might present a problem.

Don't worry, I got that covered.....I have 3 different guitars.....One is tuned to E flat (and yes, you're correct about the GAllery being in E flat....I learned a couple congs off it.)....

I have 2 other guitars...One is tuned to Standard D, and the other is ULTRA-low....B FLAT....

So I switch guitars for whichever song requires which sound,....

well i'd do that but get a gt-3 used instead of a gt-3, unless you really want to spend the money for some reason. It's debatable which one is actually better sounding and mostly the 6 would just be newer with more extra stuff. In either case they take tons of tweaking and, at least in my case, can only be worked with by disregarding everything the manual says to do or anyone else says to do.

For example I fought with my gt-3 forever to get any sort of sound through it, I was going for an Opeth one and then a melodic death sound..and I couldn't get it. Then in one setting you can change what setup it is set to work with, like Line Out is meant for direct recording and with my amp the setting for Guitar Amp (stack) should have sounded the best....and it was dead opposite. I've got it set the other way and get a just crushing sound out of the thing.

So, yes go with it, but be aware that it's a pain in the ass to get right. Both Katatonia and Opeth use them live though, and Opeth for sure for ALL their sound...no real amp at all....so those processors DO work.

AtTheGates2099 said:
Actually, I started playing drums first.....I had a small 4 piece kit.....I kinda sucked at it though, so I kept with guitar.....

hehe, but at least must have some sort of time-keeping which most guitarists lack at all :p

AtTheGates2099 said:
I'm running through a crate blue voodoo half stack and a metal zone petal,....The metal zone, to me, is even better than amp distortion......
Metal Zones sound great sitting at home playing guitar by yourself, but they really don't make the cut for playing live or doing any serious recording. Way too much fuzz and such. I really liked mine until i joined a serious band and started getting serious about recording.

Anyway. i then purchased a digitech 2112 rack effects unit, and haven't looked back! I'm sure there's probably better out there as well, but getting some real tube distortion does an awful lot for making really good guitar tones. Definitely move on from the Metal Zone if you want to get a decent sound at all. And once you've got the equipment then as with any of it, no matter what, you're going to have to spend some time really learning how to make a good sound... many people overlook certain factors, like making a sound that will work well with the other instruments or having way too much gain in the distortion!

Ummm...I say sell the Blue Voodoo and Metal Zone and get a good amp :p Sorry, I've tried out the blue voodoo stacks before, the newer one and the older much less wattage ones. I just thought it sounded like a buzzsaw. If you want brutal distortion, try a peavey 5150.

or a laney gh/vh series, generally cheaper then the 5150 and have a different sound to them but heavy as hell.

well I love mine anyway. really versatile too and I like the clean better then a 5150....and everyone has 5150's anyway.

Get your volume knob cranked up to 11. That'll get you your Gallery sound. :D

any luck with this? I picked up a gt 5 not so long ago off e-bay and its damned great,I ditched using it with my practice amp and just lined it through my 4 track and into my stereo to utilize the stereo effects,you can get an awesome defined tone BUT you have to mess with the effect chain placement and it does take a while,but it becomes second nature pretty quick and youll find once you get the hang of it itll be an indispensable piece of gear.

The Gallery and Blackwater Park Tone :worship: