Question For All You Photogs - 60d vs 7D

That one is still going... but man, to pay 600 bucks for a 12 year old chair that looks raggedy as shit... it doesn't feel right.

Anyway, here's some more with jailbait:

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHAH .. dude I am sold already!

After I pick up my LTD Ec1000 tomorrow, Ill start banking the $1200 for this :)
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-Digital-Camera-18-55mm/dp/B003DKV8B4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284075534&sr=8-4[/ame]

Sweet deal if you ask me!

That does look like an awesome deal.

I just grabbed a barebones 550d + 1 Lens kit from hong kong for like $900 AUD. I figured I'd leave all the other options open since I'm a total n00b and don't know what I even need.

Speaking of which, now that your issue is sorted, I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread.

Do any of you guys know of any freely available photography or 550d/T2i tutorial videos floating around on the net? Something that goes over the very basics of photography through to more advanced topics would be awesome.

Something like this would be awesome (I seriously cant be bothered ordering anything else, I have couriers coming by every day): http://michaelthementor.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=19

Just testing the 550D briefly in my low lit room with some noob shots:

Opal.jpg

2Control.jpg

Ermin, what ISO did you use? I think it is too high, due to the noise. Probably you have it in AUTO and the camera shooted at 3200 or so.

Shoot the same pics with ISO100 and a tripod, and you'll notice the difference.

Or, could also be a low rate JPG compression, in that case forget what I said and I'll keep my mouth shut for he next time.

Yeah I think its a combination of both man. I literally just booted the thing and shot at that point. They are doubly encoded in JPG due to me getting lazy when exporting too, so there's a ton of noise coming from there as well...

Plus I hear the stock lens is shit at shooting in low-light conditions.

...Plus I hear the stock lens is shit at shooting in low-light conditions.

Same lens I have. Low light hand held shots...yes...it's too slow (F3.5-5.6 depending on amount of zoom). But it does fine for tripod/longer exposure shots. ;) You just have to learn to get off of the auto settings.

Edit: Rebel 450D XSi with kit 18-55mmIS lens. Shot at F22/30sec/ISO 1600. The only post processing was a graduated filter on the skyline and a fine sharpening I do to all my pics as the final step.

Downtown-Night-Skyline-sm.jpg

Ermz -

Do the same shot again

With these settings:

Auto White Balance
ISO 400
Stay zoomed all the way out to allow more light into the lens
Set your shutter to about 80
Image stabilization ON
Auto Focus OFF
Flash

You should be able to get a decent image, you shouldnt have to go all the way to ISO100. Even my Olympus doest start getting a lot of artifacts till ISO800

I've got an older Rebel XT that I shoot stills with all the time... no monitor thru the LCD display, but it still works pretty damn well.
bush.jpg

However, I am looking to upgrade my video camera. It's about 10 years old... I'd like something that shoots 24 frames/sec at 1080p, 16:9 ratio. Any suggestions?

Ermz -

Do the same shot again

With these settings:

Auto White Balance
ISO 400
Stay zoomed all the way out to allow more light into the lens
Set your shutter to about 80
Image stabilization ON
Auto Focus OFF
Flash

You should be able to get a decent image, you shouldnt have to go all the way to ISO100. Even my Olympus doest start getting a lot of artifacts till ISO800

Cool thanks!

ShallowEulogy, those videos aren't mine, and most were taken with the Canon 50mm USM F1.4 lens, and one with the standard kit lens. Just read the descriptions.

Guru, those settings didn't work at all for this room. I think you slightly underestimated how little light there is in here, heheh. Anyway I'll work something out, and down the track grab a better low-light lens. This thing works a lot better in natural light conditions.

Anyway I was off at my girlfriend's so I decided to pass the time by quickly shooting some mundane things in her room in monochrome. Still getting a hang of the whole manual everything!

dpp0009o.jpg

dpp0010.jpg

dpp0013d.jpg

dpp0016p.jpg