i have two question for you all (help plz)

The-Zeronaut

Mixing..Y U SO DIFFICULT?
Sep 24, 2007
First question:
Can record in cubase with a presonus firepod and a toneport UX1 at the same time?...and if i can do it...how?(i want to record 9 tracks of a drumkit but the presonus have only 8 mic inputs :S)

second question:
Soon i will record my first mic´d drumkit ...i am gonna replace toms ,snare and kick with drumagog or drumtracker ...so i wanna know the best overhead position to capture more cymbals and less drums (i know i will be capturing drum sound whatever the positioning is...)
also do you know some "tutorial" or video about overhead micing?

thank you very much for the help!!!

PC or Mac? For Mac you can create an aggregate device which is basically combining any number of audio interfaces to appear as one in your DAW. I don't know of anything like it that is comparable on a PC though. If you are on a Mac, just google "create aggregate audio device mac" and there should be a page that comes up from apple's website showing you how to do it step-by-step.

As for the overheads, how many cymbals (including hats and ride) and how many mics? If you have too many cymbals and only a couple of mics you will have to do spaced pairs, or even groups of 3 depending on how many the drummer has. If you are able to dedicate one mic to each cymbal then you can sort of close mic each one and that helps with bleeding. Otherwise you will just have to play with placement and grouping until you find the spots where the mics are rejecting the most drums and sound good on the cymbals. Just look around at pics of mic'ed drums and get some ideas to try. Remember the 1:3 rule if possible. Also, if you are going to replace 100% on the drums and if you have triggers to use, you can always stuff each drum to the brim with sheets/blankets/pillows to get them as dead as possible, basically turning it into an e-kit with real cymbals a la Dimmu Borgir style ;) May work using mics too but it would be preferable with triggers.

~006

im on PC :S

the drummer told me that he has:
2 Splash: roland meinl de 8" serie byzance and sabian HH 10"
1 crash zildjian avedis custom 15"
1 crash zildjian avedis custom 16"
1 dark crash zildjian serie K 16´45"
1 china paiste alpha 18"
1 ride zildjian avedis custom de 20"

hihat : zildjian avedis custom 13"

i am gonna use only 2 mics for the overheads

Well, if you only have two mics to use on the overheads and he has 7 cymbals going including a ride then I think X/Y could work out. The mics will need to be pretty high up in the air to capture the full set of cymbals, and you will probably need to figure something out for the ride in case it is buried by a crash or the china, otherwise it will get lost/drowned out. BTW looks like he has some nice cymbals so at least you got that going for ya :)

~006

But will it see both the FirePod and the UX1 and use them at the same time? If so that's awesome and good to know. But AFAIK from Cubase it will only see/use one or the other. Which is why on the Mac you would have to create an audio device which has both as one unit, then Cubase will see it as one unit, but all i/o will be available on all devices that you included in the aggregate device.

~006

But will it see both the FirePod and the UX1 and use them at the same time? If so that's awesome and good to know. But AFAIK from Cubase it will only see/use one or the other. Which is why on the Mac you would have to create an audio device which has both as one unit, then Cubase will see it as one unit, but all i/o will be available on all devices that you included in the aggregate device.

~006

+52365476347

anyone know the answer to the question that 006 asked?
thank you all for the help

I hope there is an answer for PC users, I know on a Mac it's possible and very easy to do. There must be something that allows you to. Like I said, Cubase will only use one at any time unless you create a device that has both interfaces as one unit.

~006

Not that it helps, but I'm fairly sure you can use two interfaces at the same time in Sonar (which is PC only). So it's possible on PC, I guess it's just a matter of whether it works in Cubase or not.

Not that it helps, but I'm fairly sure you can use two interfaces at the same time in Sonar (which is PC only). So it's possible on PC, I guess it's just a matter of whether it works in Cubase or not.

and does someone know how to do that in sonar?...

and no one has any tips for the overhead question? (see first post)