Question for Andy, TDM + RTAS

AStudio

Mar 12, 2007
Im sure this has been talked about on multiple levels but in your opinion is there a sonic difference between RTAS and TDM plugins? Of course there are advantages to both, cost and DSP being two, but from a pure sound basis do you notice a difference? The reason i ask is because i, like most people cant justify spending the big money on TDM when i can run RTAS for much cheaper (running a HD3 rig so its mixed RTAS and TDM plugs). Common thought is RTAS and TDM sound exactly the same. Do you agree? Do you mix and match with RTAS and TDM, obviously there are latency problems while tracking and dsp limitations to RTAS but from a mix point of view are you using RTAS and TDM or just TDM? Its really a sound question as i am aware of the advantages of TDM plugs on a day to day basis. Thanks in advance.:p

Look what i found within 10 seconds through the wonderful "Search Function"

no, they aren't identical at all.... TDM and RTAS both run in Pro Tools.. TDM versions usually have a higher processing resolution than most other plug in formats and run off dedicated DSP cards (HD and HD Accel cards) with virtually no hit to the host processor. so the AU version of let's say... Oxford EQ.. is not "buff" as the TDM version.

DSS3 is right though when it comes to host based versions i believe....i.e., the VST and AU versions of a given plug are likely running at the same internal resolution... generally.

Here's the original thread!
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/327591-vst-vs-rtas-vs-tdm-vs-au.html

Thanks very much fabz. James, how do you feel about the "higher resolution" of TDM compared to RTAS, do you feel its audible and justifies the extra price increase? This is purely a mixing sonic question, as the benefits of the low latency dsp processing are a no brainer. Thanks again guys.