VST vs RTAS vs TDM vs AU?

sincethefailing

failing since '81
Aug 4, 2006
south africa
Hi,

does anyone here really know what the big difference between all these plugin formats is? OTHER that that they run on different DAW's. Do they all sound the same or similar?

I'm working with VST's at the moment and RTAS(when in PT LE), But how big a difference does TDM make?

no, they aren't identical at all.... TDM and RTAS both run in Pro Tools.. TDM versions usually have a higher processing resolution than most other plug in formats and run off dedicated DSP cards (HD and HD Accel cards) with virtually no hit to the host processor. so the AU version of let's say... Oxford EQ.. is not "buff" as the TDM version.

DSS3 is right though when it comes to host based versions i believe....i.e., the VST and AU versions of a given plug are likely running at the same internal resolution... generally.

In the whole AAX DSP development debarcle (the fact that Avid have bullshitted about AAX DSP being just as easy to develop as AAX native) I read that TDM and RTAS plugins do not actually sound the same once coded and that they have to be tweaked so that the RTAS version and TDM version of the same plugin sound the same for release.
One sounding better than the other, who knows but Avid now claim that AAX sounds better than RTAS and TDM of course - why wouldn't they lol
Avid have also claimed that VST does not posses enough versatility for them to move to using it (whatever that means - besides not being able to sell their own brand of DSP).

He said that because you resurrected a thread with a last post date of August 20th, 2007, and didn't really add any useful information to warrant the necrothread bump.