Question for Asgeir regarding the song Revolt !!

Devourer

Traveller
Jan 20, 2004
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hello there,
I really want to know how you play the part in Revolt at like 2:35 (and 2 more times in the song). It's the double-bass and hi-hat thing. You're playing the double bass (I assume you used 2 bass-drums or a double-bass pedal) but still you're using the hihat...(close/open/close/open). How do you do that?? Is it recorded twice, or did you use a single-doublebass pedal or something?? The question might sound stupid but I really wanna know !! I'm not that experienced in drumming yet (although I play kinda long) so I really wanna know. :D

Greetz,
Devourer

asgeir said:
Easy. You close the hi-hat with your left hand (touching the cymbals and not the pedal of course... doh).

- Asgeir
Please join my band. We play Experimental Brown Metal here in North Dakota, the paradise of the whole earth. Well, we would if we could find a non-flakey drummer.

asgeir said:
Brown metal? Is that like a little christian and a little satanic at the same time?

- Asgeir
Brown metal--music so good, you'll shit your pants...maybe. Actually, it's something I made up after hearing a couple black-metal fans arguing about "Black, grey, and white" metal. I thought it was pretty dumb, so I said I was in a band that plays brown metal.

...how much more black could it be? The answer is "none more black".

brown metal = shit metal? interesting :D i was thinking the other day PABM. Pennsylvania Amish Black Metal. all acoustic instruments and the singer would sing out of one of those megaphones that cheerleaders uses during football games. yes amish means no electricity so shows only during the day or at nite with candles. ok no sleep kills me. that was complete ranting garbage.

Sometimes while doing a double-bass roll I'll make my friends leave and work the hi-hat with one hand to confuse them....its worked every time. I haven't done this in any of my bands songs yet though...