Question for David....

Vex Loser

Negative Vibe Merchant
Jul 12, 2004
Somewhere in Texas
www.vexhomepage.com
How is that Gibson SG that you have? I've had my eye on pretty much that exact same guitar for a while now but I haven't spent much time playing one. If I can ever submit my tax information I will probably use my return to purchase one.

This is my main axe for recording and playing live:

73798.jpg

It's super light, feels nice, stays in tune (even when turned real low) and sounds huge! Simple. Tony Iommi played SGs, Kirk Windstein (CROWBAR) plays SGs, the boys from Amorphis used to play SGs, + so many others = sold! I've always been more of a riff writer than a shredder and I find that the SG fits my playing style, going from doom/stoner/Neil Young/'the power of the riff compels me' type stuff to faster single string bm picking and whole chord thrashing!

I can see myself collecting SGs over the years, instead of buying different brands and styles. I would just put different pickups in them to allow them to sound different from each other. I actually bought 'another one' late last year, but I'm waiting to summer to unveil it to the world! It is 'the day' to that which is 'the night' in my brown faded SG. Where my faded brown SG is my "Against the Seasons" / "Woods 3" / Winter guitar, my new axe will be my "Pursuit..." / Summer BM / "Woods IV" guitar! You'll see!!! Fuckin' DOOM!!! :kickass:

Hell yeah man, that's exactly what I needed to hear...I actually prefer the look of that one to the traditional SGs with the trapezoid inlays, red sunburst and whatnot. I think this one looks more refined. I'm also moving away from shredding towards more of an open-chord riffing style similar to Enslaved (Ivar is another proud SG user) and Bathory so I think this guitar would suit that well.
Do you use the stock pickups? If so, how is the clarity when using a clean tone? Cheers...

I finally went out and bought that exact same guitar and it plays like a dream. It has a nice bite with plenty of low end. The lad at the guitar shop was kind enough to make the proper intonation/truss rod/tension adjustments for the dropped B tuning I use.

N-Isa (someone on this forum said that and I think it is brilliant, I by no means take credit for inventing it)

anyways, I will eventually get one of those when I have the money. Though, I will be buying a PRS SE Standard withing the next couple of months. Does anyone have any opinions on the guitar?

N-Isa (someone on this forum said that and I think it is brilliant, I by no means take credit for inventing it)

anyways, I will eventually get one of those when I have the money. Though, I will be buying a PRS SE Standard withing the next couple of months. Does anyone have any opinions on the guitar?

Yea, actually I highly disliked that guitar. Everytime I go to the store, there are a lot of PRS SE Standards around and they're mostly mid range prices so I end up trying a bunch of them. All in all, they just feel cheap IMO. Not as comfortable as I thought.

I have an SG and it owns. Its got great low end, but also a real cutting high end. And I really have no trouble shredding on it, especially if I have a lighter gauge of string. Much more comfortable than Les Pauls too. Question for you Dave, is your SG neck heavy? Like when you have your guitar on the strap, and you take your hands off it, does the neck sink down, or does it not move? Mine is neck heavy, so it sinks down, though I really don't care at all. Just curious.

I have an SG and it owns. Its got great low end, but also a real cutting high end. And I really have no trouble shredding on it, especially if I have a lighter gauge of string. Much more comfortable than Les Pauls too. Question for you Dave, is your SG neck heavy? Like when you have your guitar on the strap, and you take your hands off it, does the neck sink down, or does it not move? Mine is neck heavy, so it sinks down, though I really don't care at all. Just curious.

my Ibanez does that and it annoys me to no end. I have to hold up the neck while playing and its really not helping anything.