Question for everyone about mastering

lepersmeesa

Badman rudeboy
Apr 10, 2005
London
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I have an assignment for my uni to critically discuss popular culture in the context of one or more areas of current cultural, musical and critical thinking. So I have chosen mastering.

It seems to be a hot topic at the moment and I thought it would be a good idea to ask as many different people from different points of view to give their opinion on the situation. Basically what mastering was, is now and how its changed any aspect of views on music, music industry, etc etc

Any comments or discussions would be much appreciated, as well as any interesting articles and papers on the issue.

Thanks to anyone who contributes!

in the past year or so there was an issue of mix that interviewed the top guys about the current and past state of mastering. Its one of the better articles i've read in a while about it, and its quite interesting. Id suggest you seek out some back issues. It was pretty much the cover story. I might even be able to find which issue it was if i scour the bathroom here at the studio. You'd owe me one though...

I couldnt put into words how i feel about mastering, from the good and bad side. It certainly has affected all of our workflow, especially those of with steady mixing gigs.

This is just a really basic answer, but the way I understand it, mastering used to be a small step in the process in which any necessary last changes to the whole mix were made before the master copy was made for duplication. Now, though, it's a much bigger, more involved, and important part of the whole process.

Mastering should be the final polish to make the given mixed tracks the CD feel. Of course bringing it up in volume, track order and timing so that there is a sense of continuity and flow. It should not be to EQ problem areas, or correct problems not fixed during mixing.

I chose "Loudness Wars: Industry strikes back"

:lol: There was a great mock editorial in a recent issue of Recording Magazine that talked about why louder tracks are better and how one should go about mixing and mastering for the "best" results. It was great!