Question for fellow computer gurus

Cat5Messiah

Violator of Sheep
Jan 21, 2003
Seattle/Tacoma (Browns Point), WA
www.myspace.com
First off, I got screwed out of two grand by the state so that means, I have no money what-so-ever. I was depending on that money for a couple reasons. One main reason was for my computer. I'm moving back to Moses Lake which is the fucking desert so it's really hot there. I was going to get a new case, new heatsink and CPU fan and was contemplating water cooling my system. I was also going to use the money to help me out while looking for a job and getting re-established while getting ready to go back to college in the fall.

Today, my computer restarted itself twice. Currently, I have the side of my computer open with the system fan blowing air at the CPU with the CPU fan running at 4300 RPM or so. My current temperature is 74C/165F. Yeah, that's too fucking hot. I was wondering, for temporary usage until I could get another case and such, if this idea would work:

Somehow kind of cut a hole at the top of the case (or somewhere and where) and stick a fan in there (I should have one laying around somewhere). I'll have the CPU fan of course, one fan acting as intake and the other acting as an exhaust fan. I know it seems ghetto, but I have no money to do it the right way. Any suggestions?

NP: Death - Mentally Blind

Okay, this is what I did. Using a drill and some tin snips, I created an exhaust at the top of my case. Talk about ghettofying! It helps a little bit, but I still need a new case............
Here are the ghetto pics:
fanjob.jpg

fanjob2.jpg

NP: Soilwork - Grand Failure Anthem

Yeah, they are pretty lethal :lol:

You're right, I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+

I'm not really all for Intel. Intel is more stable but AMD is actually faster. I'm planing on getting a Thermaltake Xaser3:

v2000a.jpg

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/xaser3/v2000a.htm

or maybe get a case that comes pre-watercooled. The Xaser though, I could put a watercooled system into it but shit, would I really need to? The cooling system in that case is:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A1420 (TT-8025A), 80x80x25mm Silent Fan, 30dBA[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Front x 2 w/ air filter[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Rear x 2 w/ fan holder[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Side x 2 w/ air filter [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Top x 1 w/ fan holder[/font]​
Is that enough to overclock?​
NP: Children of Bodom - In the Shadows​

Thermaltake Xaser3 is the exact case I was looking to get for my next pc. I generally dont over clock so I'm not entirely sure if that case would suit, but no doubt it would but as your moving to the desert hehe prephaps you could look at a water cooled system, I know a few people with that and they seem have had good results and fun with them. I also have a friend that has a mini fridge unit in the case, forget the name now, its pretty insane, keeps the CPU at like -7 degrees, however it appeared to do a better job then the central heating to the room the case was in.

I used to use AMD, good speed for the money, but after the last 2 fried I felt I should go for Intel, been a rock for me really.

Man them Thermaltake are pretty :D

Anarchy said:
Thermaltake Xaser3 is the exact case I was looking to get for my next pc. I generally dont over clock so I'm not entirely sure if that case would suit, but no doubt it would but as your moving to the desert hehe prephaps you could look at a water cooled system, I know a few people with that and they seem have had good results and fun with them. I also have a friend that has a mini fridge unit in the case, forget the name now, its pretty insane, keeps the CPU at like -7 degrees, however it appeared to do a better job then the central heating to the room the case was in.

I used to use AMD, good speed for the money, but after the last 2 fried I felt I should go for Intel, been a rock for me really.

Man them Thermaltake are pretty :D

They ARE very badass looking cases. It's not exactly the desert. The hottest it gets is about 112 F and there is hardly any humidity. Location wise, it's about 190 miles east of Seattle WA. I live in Seattle now, but I keep on moving back and forth. The winters are pretty fucking cold in Moses Lake because it's north. It's not like Texas or Arizona.

NP: Children of Bodom - Don't Stop at the Top

hehe, i'm sure its not that bad, but compared to the UK where I am...hehe
least its summer atm...tempertures getting as high as 24/25degrees celius last few days!!! :hotjump:looking a bit grey at the moment though, hope it clears by the afternoon...

my freind has the side of his case open and hes got a fan thats aimed right at the processor...you can either get a fan that clips in to the case or geta huge ass fan..my other freind did that cause he computer over heated alot..if you use a big fan i would take both the side panels off so that air goes through properly :)

You can get Fans that will connect to your PCI and hover over the main board. Which is helpfull, think about getting a big heatsink and fan and maybe a few spare other fans about it, even at that you could probably over clock :)