OT: question for computer gurus

Wyvern said:
Not on media players but you're my type of user TSO! I love sound systems with bass and treble only. I don't have a EQ neither on my main sound system nor in my car. The simple 3in1 Ihave on my room came with preset equalized sounds that's the drag with modern stuff.

All players I know today have EQ too :erk:
Several years ago, back when I was using Win95 on my old Micron, I had a Soundblaster sound card that had bass and treble controls built in. It was great! When I got my current computer in late 2002, I junked the integrated sound card immediately and bought the lastest greatest version of Soundblaster. Guess what? No tone controls. Why they would remove that feature on future versions is beyond me. I've gone through 2 more soundcards since then, and none of those feature tone controls either. And it's not like that feature is prominently listed on the box or specs...that first Soundblaster card didn't list bass and treble feature either, but it was there. I just had to turn it on via Control Panel.

Bryant said:
You have great replies on this thread with little I can add, but I do want to also praise Winamp. Go ahead and spend the $10-15 (I can't remember which) and buy the full version. It is very easy to burn CDs with it as well as rip CDs.

Well, I kinda stick to that old "jack of all trades, master of none" saying and don't like to use Winamp for nothing other than reproducing music. For video reproduction I use BSPlayer, for DVD reproduction WinDVD, for CD ripping Exact Audio Copy (with LAME mp3 codec) and for CD/DVD burning Nero (what else!). I'd recommend these programs to anyone wanting to have full control...

And I never understood American obsession with "brand name" machines, I always thought they were overpriced, selling the name mostly... Then again, no one here in Croatia buys brand names except for "serious" firms like banks and so forth. Common users buy custom built machines that the computer shops assemble from components in their catalogue.
I personally prefer very specific components and I can buy them in 6 different shops if I think it's necessary, I always build and maintain machines myself. That said, I work in a computer repair shop, so it's kind understandable... :D

@TSO and Wyv - for God's sakes buy some decent speakers, guys, and you'll never need those phony bass/treble pots ever again! :)

SickBoy said:
@TSO and Wyv - for God's sakes buy some decent speakers, guys, and you'll never need those phony bass/treble pots ever again! :)
Whatchoo call decent speakers, man? Mine are $80 Logitechs, 5.1. They actually sound great (although the bass is a little too boomy even at the lowest volume setting) when I fiddle with my EQ. I'm just really picky about sound. I don't hear high frequencies well (too many concerts and NASCAR races), and I am a stickler for crisp cymbols, so I need a treble control or else I have to EQ it to my liking.

SickBoy said:

It's not a matter of speakers (I use Altech Lansing right now) it's a matter of feeling bass/treble are much more human than equalizer :D

Said that I equalize double my system (for the lack of bass/treble), once through the Sound Blaster Live 24-bit software and then through the equalizer built in Winamp, add some special effects and voila!

NP: Stream Of Passion - 'Open Your Eyes'