Choosing an operating system (aka calling all computer gurus)

I so god damn just purchased Linux Mandrake 9.1, now I just have to wait for my computer to be shipped. :D

So in the year 2014, what is the go to OS to avoid getting arse blasted by Mr. Gates? I have little desire to fill coffers that will be funneled down to children in third world countries. The only child I wish to please, is my inner one.

Linux plays pr0n right? :heh:

Ubuntu is the most likely choice. You can even install it inside of Windows (as it it was an app) and test it out a bit. It seems to have the biggest user community of all the desktop distros and it's likely if you have any questions, you'll easily be able to find your answers in their forums. Ubuntu has made Linux as user friendly as it's ever been.

general zod is basically right

the only problem is ubuntu is trash

edit: but honestly, go ahead and install ubuntu and if you think "hey this is kinda cool, i probably would like it if only it wasn't a blubberous mass of rancid vomit" then i can steer you towards something better in the future

because no matter how bad ubuntu is, at least it isnt windows 8

What are you nerds using these computers for?

To post on RC. Currently typing from a laptop purchased 10 years ago. Said pc is missing 4 keys, has buttons that stick, no functional internal mouse, and is slower than a snail up a hill of molasses. I tried running xubuntu or whatever the fuck its called right now, but no Bios option @ start up, and I cant be arsed to find out how to prioritize a boot drive at this hour.

:erk:

:lol:

I'm on an IPod right now. It's perfectly functional.
My laptop is a $280 Toshiba that sucks so much ass I can barely use it.

Once you get Ubuntu working it's probably fine for your uses.

I started using Win 8.1 very recently - it's actually fine. I did have to tweak a few things though (Boot directly to desktop, disable automatic driver installs).

I would never use Win 8 though.

To post on RC. Currently typing from a laptop purchased 10 years ago. Said pc is missing 4 keys, has buttons that stick, no functional internal mouse, and is slower than a snail up a hill of molasses. I tried running xubuntu or whatever the fuck its called right now, but no Bios option @ start up, and I cant be arsed to find out how to prioritize a boot drive at this hour.

:erk:

boot device menu is usually F11

but who knows with those stupid proprietary name brand things

You cannot use netflix on Ubuntu, though. It should be coming soon, apparently. I'm on Linux Mint, right now, which is Ubuntu without unity.

I love windows 7, and I use it at home. I have a virtual box with Mint installed.

EDIT: Technically you can, with a work around, but I'm guessing most people here (except dorian), wouldn't be able to do it.

I habitually run Netshitz via gaming consoles, my pcs (pluralized for the one which recently died) cant handle the program. Shit stutters harder than Moose tossing out pickup lines.

I forget what Linux I used after this thread but it was pretty neat. Mandrake maybe? I dunno, I kept it for a month and then went back to XP. That shit worked well enough once I turned off all the bullshit.

Computers are all stupid these days. I don't even pay attention at all. I have a really nice one at work, it brings me 0% pleasure. When my Mac at home dies, I'm going to replace it with a stack of Playboy magazines. Analog jerk-off station.

Does Windows 8 limit anything where it forces you to change OS to Linux or something? Sure it's annoying with the app screen or whatever, but that seems like the only real major change.

You never need to see the Metro UI in 8.1 if you set it to boot to desktop. I have no idea what the first part of your sentence is talking about. Are you talking about laptops that can swap between two OSes at will?

Anyway, it's a better OS than Windows 7 in every regard other than the Metro UI blunder, really. I was quite fond of Win7 but I don't really miss it having switched over. I still game/tweak too much to ever use a Linux distro in anything other than a VM.

I forget what Linux I used after this thread but it was pretty neat. Mandrake maybe? I dunno, I kept it for a month and then went back to XP. That shit worked well enough once I turned off all the bullshit.
it was mandrake according to what you posted itt

linux has come a long-ass way since then

unfortunately a lot of the development has imo been totally in the wrong direction, but it's generally a lot more consistent and pleasant to use as a desktop os these days

it was mandrake according to what you posted itt
haha, that rules. I spent 5 minutes on Wikipedia trying to figure out what I was using back then and it was, as you say, ITT.

I do need a new computer soon. Windows still sucks, my ma-in-law has the new one and it looks Very Nifty but completely bloated and stupid for someone like me who just wants basic internet and occasional music shit.