PC running sluggish...getting tired of it

SpaceCorpse said:
This one comes handy sometimes too:
http://www.ccleaner.com/
CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.

This one is really good; even without internet access, you'll still have a lot of pointless temp files lying around, and this takes care of them. It also has a registry cleanup feature, which should be used carefully, but works great; you'd be surprised how much junk gets left in there, especially after you supposedly uninstall something.

To me, it sounds like: (in order)
-A ram incompatibility (try other brands from your friends computers)
or
-An HD physical problem ( check also the HD connections, run the appropriate diagnostic tool found on the manufacturer webstite )
or
-Wrong bios settings (Dram clock or something)
or
-Too much (useless) backround services

might have been funny if it made any sense. Unix programming nerds take the mac OS very seriously... they just don't seem to be the the smarmy little jack-ass types that think it's funny to write viruses... it's also kind of a "code of ethics" among mac programmers, neophytes and masters alike. anyway, best drop it before the "OT Police" catch wind of this little side-bar :bah: .

James Murphy said:
might have been funny if it made any sense. Unix programming nerds take the mac OS very seriously... they just don't seem to be the the smarmy little jack-ass types that think it's funny to write viruses... it's also kind of a "code of ethics" among mac programmers, neophytes and masters alike. anyway, best drop it before the "OT Police" catch wind of this little side-bar :bah: .

This is infact true ... Mac OS is a flavor of Unix, and us Unix guys actually like it. I would definitely be using mac if i could Afford it at the moment.

Eventually i will get myself a nice G5 or a Powerbook, but for the moment im stuch with crappy XP and Sonar 4, but hey its better than nothing.

Are there any good recording platforms that run on Unix ?
I havent found any.

Da Fukn Guru

James Murphy said:

Big rambling ahoy!

I have to disagree here with you James, especially because in my 'previous life phase', I've been related to the virus scene. Believe it or not, there's a general misunderstanding about who gets the fault: if the virus makers, the software programmers, the antivirus programmers or the users themselves. I've had this discussion with other people about the OSX running on Windows, recently.

First off: in 80-90%, the virus programmers don't unleash their virus to the large scale. They make it to excel their knowledge and egocentricly to excel the knowledge of said 'Programming Masters'. Most virus programmers have just one intention: Surpass the defensive mechanisms: Be it the flaws of the operating system, of a given application, an antivirus, a security mechanism, whatever their goal is. It's pretty much like the death metal scene, who just want to reach the most speedy and aggressive status/what ever.

All the antivirus programmers were virus programmers in their previous life phases, as well. Who better to protect you from virus than someone who knows the general direction of one? Of course, not all virus are generic in todays world of computers, although you don't see new types of virus on a daily basis, because the majority of virus programmers just don't try to go beyond what's already known, but there's quite a few top programmers who do research and actually come up with new types of viruses.

Why Mac (and UNIX) is least affected by spyware and virus is because there's a bigger number of Windows/PC users than Mac/OSX (or UNIX) users and also the effectiveness of the ownership, permission and account scheme of UNIX (From where OSX is based). There's also another reason, the UNIX systems are less evolved to the desktop and ease of use and who get's the market? Microsft, Windows. You don't have a lot of Virus for your platform/architecture, because only multimedia studios, kiosks and a few share of the computer market possess such machines. But that will change for sure, with the new Intel & Apple deal. Write my words :)

The problem starts when, for example, the average wannabe hacker in the school who found this uber-cool virus creation engine and unleashes the virus in his school to reak havoc. The other students and teachers use the computers, pick a floppy disk, whatever to copy their works back home and suddenly....there's virus manifestation all over the place. These are the type of 'smarmy little jack-ass' who actually make virus programmers to be looked as the scum of the computer era and I fully disagree with this. Most of the times, if there weren't virus programmers, most of the flaws found on operating systems, would be exploited by conscious hackers and eventually lead to major problems than a virus would. The guy who wrote the "I Love You" Visual Basic Script, said to be virus, is not really a virus programmer, although he ressembles a bit of what a virus programmer is like - he had vision to know if he made the script spread through outlook and knowing how untreated security-wise is the microsoft's operating system it would work to whatever his plans were and indeed, it did work. Anyway, I guess I've gone enough out off topic, but I had to expose my view here :)

cheers :headbang:

neverpurify said:
Youre best bet is to wipe your drive clean and reinstall windows and only the programs that you need. For some reason those Dells run slow when they are loaded up at the factory. I have 3 family members that have Dells with the same CPU etc that I have and my computer (homebrew) runs so much faster.

Give it a shot. I am 95% sure it will make a huge difference.

Um, I already did that when I first got it a long time ago. I wiped it clean and put XP Pro on there...there's no programs with Pro. Every time I re-format I put Pro on and all that gets put on is the OS and like solitaire, thats it.

~006

006 said:
Ok, so I have a PC that I use with a Digidesign MBox and PTLE 6.4 for home projects and for recording during the writing process of a lot of my little ideas. I have Drumkit From Hell 2 on there as well as Cubase SX. Now, it is a Dell XPS Gen2 (blue one) with an Intel PentiumIV 3.2gHz w. 800mHz FSB, 2gb dual channel ram and a Western Digital 10k RPM 180gb internal drive. Why is it taking 10 minutes almost to load DFH2 in CubaseSX compared to about a minute total for my friend who has a 2.XgHz PentiumIII and 512mb of ram? My PC has always been under-performing for recording and gaming ever since I got it. I de-frag about once a week, and format to clean the system off about every month or so. Another friend of mine bought some game a while back that was pretty graphics intense, and I have a good video card, it's actually made for games (Radeon 256mb), and he has an eMachines with a 1.X Pentium chip and 512mb of ram...a 128mb video card that came on the board, and he can run that game much smoother than I can WITH all the graphics intense portions turned up in the options. I had to turn them all down and it was STILL choppy and lagging.

I just don't understand it. Maybe somebody here can help me out with this problem? :)

~006

when i had512 an updated it to 1,5 gig i had the same problem but i found something that like make the ram work for dfh2 etc.

i went to system options, then to how much memory thee is, andhow much there is ued and the pc says how much you should use. and choose that one cause then the stuff will work.