PC running sluggish...getting tired of it

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
006, did you try removing one of your memory card ? I guess you're having 2 x 1Gb, try using only one, then the other, maybe try other slots... Hope that helps...
Good call; and make sure they're matched also- two sticks of DDR RAM will only run as fast as the slowest one, so it's best to have them of the same speed.
I know you don't let that PC touch the internet, but some sort of quick malware scan couldn't hurt; I know Adaware always finds stuff whenever I do a fresh reinstall, and before I even set up my network!
Other than all that, if hitting ctrl+alt+del and viewing the System Processes doesn't reveal any big surprises or any major CPU bandit, then you've stumped me.

Could also possibly be a bad sounds driver. Or an IRQ Conflict. You may want to try checking out whats running where and try to set it up so that the soundcard is sharing the same IRQ as something like a USB hub..... If its sharing with your video card thats probably the problem.

Check your Bios setting, Turn off ACPI if you can and set your IRQ for your sound and video card manually in the bios.

Da Fukn Guru

006 said:
The Everest thing that Space Corpse posted doesn't run on my PC...not sure what thats about but now I'm pretty sure there could be some spyware NOW.
~006

Nope, no spyware in that program... I'm running it myself too. Anyway, it's a hardware diagnostics program, with some benchmarking and blah blah, and it looks like this:

guitarguru777 said:
Could also possibly be a bad sounds driver. Or an IRQ Conflict. You may want to try checking out whats running where and try to set it up so that the soundcard is sharing the same IRQ as something like a USB hub..... If its sharing with your video card thats probably the problem.

Check your Bios setting, Turn off ACPI if you can and set your IRQ for your sound and video card manually in the bios.

Da Fukn Guru

This tends to be a problem on AMD based PC's with Asus motherboards and Intel P4s with Asus or Chaintech motherboards....

Do you really have to lick James Murphys ass at any given opportunity....??? It's getting a tad tiresome...yeah, yeah, I know, I can just fuck off if I don't like the smell and ladiladilala.... Granted, he's given some good advice, I think he's cool too - but come on...

I run DFD2 on a 2Ghz AMD (Chaintech mobo) with 512 DDR on a 40gb hard drive that only has 7g free - with no problems whatsoever!

Dude - connect to the internet and run the PCpitstop full tests!!!

I like having my salad tossed by hot blonde Swedish chicks...

006 said:
Well actually, there is NO internet connection whatsoever on this machine. I took the network card out 3 months ago, and I have formatted about 8 times since then. I'm pretty sure there's no possibility that there is spyware or any viruses on it. Also, it's WinXP Pro, so all it had on it was the basics, besides I have done the start-up disable on a couple of things already, there wasn't much there to begin with, :p. I just never understood it. It's always been like this. Any other ideas?

It sounds to me like you're having trouble with memory...
That would explain the dragging in the system and especially excessive slowness in loading a few hundred MBs of data.
To get a great CD full of diagnostic tools go to www.ultimatebootcd.com and download the CD image, then burn it. It's a bootable CD with loads of great utils to test your memory, HDD or whatever.
If you don't fancy downloading some 100MB, get either this:
http://www.memtest.org/download/1.60/memtest86+-1.60.floppy.zip
(it's just a memory test in the form of a floppy image)

or this:
http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.1a.iso.zip
(another memory test in the form of CD image)

If your memory tests fine, my second guess would be an unstable PSU or (low chance) problematic mobo.

Asmus_Thomsen said:
Do you really have to lick James Murphys ass at any given opportunity....??? It's getting a tad tiresome...yeah, yeah, I know, I can just fuck off if I don't like the smell and ladiladilala.... Granted, he's given some good advice, I think he's cool too - but come on...
i was purposefully not posting in this thread... in fact i hadn't even read it until about an hour ago when one of the regulars i chat to on AIM clued me to my name coming up in it... after reading all i can say is, wtf? i got mentioned all of three times because i made some helpful suggestions, and then BAM... you're blasting the poor guys for being grateful for the info i gave them and accusing them of tossing my salad.... jeeesh, take the chip off your shoulder man, you'll find it a lot easier to walk around.

this isn't the first time you've had a go at me in a round-about way, so you have a stick up your butt about me for some reason.. wish i knew why.

Asmus,

Honestly, I never realized that James and Andy were so generous with helpful production tips until I went on Google in desperation last year to look for "Andy Sneap recording tips." They don't have to help us out at all... this is a great bonus that they share with us, and it's so bizzarre, when I see guys ilke you who don't even appreciate it.

I think the forum is a lot of fun and I've learned a lot because of it, it's a really positive thing, most here have really cool insights, it's too bad that you feel the need to spread random negativity for no apparent reason. Don't be a hater!

James Murphy said:
i was purposefully not posting in this thread... in fact i hadn't even read it until about an hour ago when one of the regulars i chat to on AIM clued me to my name coming up in it... after reading all i can say is, wtf? i got mentioned all of three times because i made some helpful suggestions, and then BAM... you're blasting the poor guys for being grateful for the info i gave them and accusing them of tossing my salad.... jeeesh, take the chip off your shoulder man, you'll find it a lot easier to walk around.

this isn't the first time you've had a go at me in a round-about way, so you have a stick up your butt about me for some reason.. wish i knew why.

Shit, I've just written a long reply to this, and then I got logged out, and I don't want to write all that again - so I'll make it short:

James, I've disagreed with you, but Ive never said anything negative about you as a person - and if you read my posts carefully you'll see that I'm not having a problem with you. I DO respect you and the advice you've given - I've benefitted from it as well as others have. I just think, that other guys on this forum has given great advice too, like Brett, Kazrog, Hopkins something, and they never get the praise you get (occasionally they do), and I feel that it has something to do with your status as a celebrity....and I really hate that... So it has nothing to do with you James - it has more to do with the other "guys" on this forum....