More pro tools problems (LE on a PC)

madbutcher

May 23, 2005
St Louis
www.harkonin.com
I cant play more than about 15 seconds of a song with getting an error....

"Audio processing is conflicting with other CPU tasks. If this occurs often, reducing the H/W buffer size in the Playback engine dialog may help prevent the problem"

So I do that (go from default 1024....to 512) and I get this error every 15 seconds or so.....

"The operating system held off interupts for too long. If this occurs frequently, try increasing the H/W buffer size in the playback engine panel"

I dont see anything running on my computer that would be conflicting... Computer is a Dell XPS laptop, Windows XP pro, pentium 4, 2 Gb of RAM. Should be more than sufficient to run LE with no plug ins going on about 29 tracks.....

Even in the system usage window its not showing barely any usage while playing, so I am lost.

Digidesigns anserbase is no help something about a dualcore beng switched to uni, but the computer processer is hyperthread, not real dualcore.......

yea thats always my first technique...... tried a couple times doesnt work.

I even tried turning off the hyperthread style of the processer to a real uni type and I'm still gettin the same bullshit.

Weird. These sessions ran fine before I did two tracks of vocals......

realise you sorted this out but to help in future with similar issues have you tried pressing ctrl alt delete and in the menu's there is an option to hide when minimise where you can monitor your cpu overhead in the taskbar at the bottom left whilst tools is 'running'. This helps show you whether or not it is pro tools or your pc.

i used to always get problems like that when i was running pro tools on a PC, but ive switched to mac and its been flawless. i dont think ive ever had an error message come up with the mac..even with like 30 tracks running and a bunch of plug ins on each

^^^ same here. I tried PTLE with a 002R on my Dell XPS desktop which had 2gb of RAM and a P4 3.2gHz CPU. I went through all the steps I could find from other users as well as DUC forums to get XP Pro to run efficiently with PT. Basically a really basic install of XP Pro with nothing but PTLE on it. And I always got that error. One instance would tell you "decrease buffer" then hit play, ten seconds later "increase buffer". Then other times, it would work flawlessly. Meanwhile I had my Powerbook and I started using that instead (1.3ghz CPU and 768mb of RAM) and never had a single problem with the same exact sessions running on it. Then I got a PowerMac with a dual 2.0 and 2gb of RAM and holy shit! After a while my PC just completely died, the heatsink malfunctioned and my nice little Pentium 4 completely fried. Woohoo for PC's.

~006