Question for Lars if he's around

cgda488

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2007
Hi, new here, wondering whether Lars prefers larger or smaller E string. I need to restring, and I'm thinking about going down to a 95 (worried about what will happen when i drop to C but that's another subject) but I'd just like some input about tone, Lars has a wonderful fretless tone.

I like to have my strings tight, so I prefer not to have the E string gauges under 100 - which I'm using right now. I think I used 105 on ASU, but I'm not sure about this. With regards to Mr Razor's comment; I'm not sure either if you've really heard my fretless work 'cause I'm not using one on ASU. The only 'real' recording I've done with my fretless so far is the Death-cover I did for Scariot. However, I've just done some fretless recordings that will probably be released later this year. More on this later.

that explains why you also have the absolute best fretless intonation i've ever heard...I had a feeling you were fretted on ASU, not sure whether Steinberger makes fretless instruments, but I've heard your instrument of choice has been an Ibanez fretless lately? Anyways, it's got that characteristic almost Jaco kind of punch. Can't stand those speed bumps on my fingerboard... Hmm.... Maybe I'll just go down to a 100 and pull my neck pickup out of the mix a little more...as an afterthought, if you like bigger gauges, my bass tuned ADGC is strung up 145 110 85 70, but i'm not sure i'm happy with the Ken Smiths i've got on it...hopefully D'Addario makes 145 taperwounds!