Question for Marcel

Soul of Ice

Rusted Angel
Jul 29, 2002
Yonkers
Visit site
I recently checked lemurvoice.com and was wondering what Gregoor was doing now and see if he was in any band I wanted to check out becuase I loved his voice.

But I read that he is playing drums? For dance music? Although I believe that he should do what makes him happy, I really thought that he would go into a more jazzy kind of band becuase of his voice.

Do you think he will ever sing like he did before? Do you think you would ever make (yet another) side project with him in the vein of some Lemur Voice stuff?

P.S. DIVIDED IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TRACK DOWN!!! :mad:

Hello :)

Gregoor is currently in a band with two other ex lemur voice members (Nathan and Barend). The style of that band is Drum And Bass music, the band is called Slow Poke Rodrigo and they are very good, he sings in this band and plays keys. Gregoor won't sing any prog metal anymore, it is just not his music style anymore. That is also one of the main reasons LV broke down.

Hope this helps :)

Marcel

Since this thread is officially on the board I might ask a question as well.
When I attended the show in Zoetermeer on Jan 31, I was right up front only inches away from your monitor. As you guys set in the first number -which was simply called New Song 1 as I could see on the setlist- you played your 7 string Ibanez. Right then my ears sort of hurt from the droning sound. I moved away a few paces to escape this. Once you started playing the 6 string I had no more problems with it. Funny thing is I had a similar experience at the Dream Theater show last year. Could it be that my ears, or the ears of other people as well are not used to a certain tuning or a certain range of tones. Have you ever had trouble with it when you started playing 7 string guitars?

Well, you're not supposed to be that close to a speaker :) I think anyone's ears flip when you're that close!

Dennis

Well maybe your ears are not used to those frequencies, the low tuning (actually the tuning is the same but there is a low B beneath it) can be "weird" to your ears, especially when uyou are so close, which normally should not be the case, I had to put my stuff at the side, normally I put it higher or next to the drummer, though because there was no space I had to put it there.

Greetz

Marcel

Originally posted by Redelijk
Well, you're not supposed to be that close to a speaker :) I think anyone's ears flip when you're that close!

Yeah, I guess you're right. It's insane to jeopardize your ears when music is just about the only thing that can make you happy.
Still, I was literally hanging over Stephan Lill's monitor when he was playing. But I believe the Vanden Plas sound was less loud.

Anyway, I enjoyed your performance just the same. ;)

Hey Keeper of the Flame, perhaps I was standing next to you. Were you right infront of Marcel? That's where I was. I'd been talking to a Dutch guy about Vanden Plas for a while before Sun Caged came on, and I'd said to look out for the song Closing In.
I'd also looked over at the set list. Sound familiar?

I was on the stage, in the middle, behind some drums and cymbals. Did anyone see me? :rolleyes:

Teehee! :D

Dennis

Originally posted by Ultima Ibanez Overlord
Hey Keeper of the Flame, perhaps I was standing next to you.

Yeah man, that was me! Good to see you. How are you?:)
I've been looking for you on this board but with all the nicknames it's kinda hard to find out who's who. Didn't recognize you from the picture in the avatar. Is that you? You look different.

So did you manage to find a place to spend the night? Didn't see you during the VP show. You guys probably wanted to make sure you found a place to stay.

Originally posted by Redelijk
I was on the stage, in the middle, behind some drums and cymbals. Did anyone see me? :rolleyes:

No, sorry! I was far too busy checking out Marcel's guitartechniques. Could hardly keep my eyes off of that Ibanez.
By the way he's also doing the funny faces on stage, just like in the videos. :D Great arpeggios and cool sounds. Marcel rocks!

But next time I'll be looking at you, Dennis. That is if all the cymbals and hair do not hide you. This time I sure did hear your awesome drumplaying!

Originally posted by keeper of the flame
Hey Keeper of the Flame, perhaps I was standing next to you.

Yeah man, that was me! Good to see you. How are you?:)
I've been looking for you on this board but with all the nicknames it's kinda hard to find out who's who. Didn't recognize you from the picture in the avatar. Is that you? You look different.

So did you manage to find a place to spend the night? Didn't see you during the VP show. You guys probably wanted to make sure you found a place to stay.

Cool, I thought it might be you. I'm good, thanks. How are you, man?
I actually checked on the VP board to see if I could find any mention of the SC gig.
It's not me in my avatar; that's The Dude from the film The Big Lebowski.
Unfortunately, the guy I was with wanted to leave to find somewhere to stay after SC played, and I agreed, since we'd only really gone to see SC. As it turned out, it was a wise move, 'cause finding somewhere was really difficult and expensive (a curse on the guy who rented a freezing room to us for 50 euroes each :bah: ).

I told you Marcel ruled, huh? I don't know if you've heard it yet, but you should go to www.suncaged.com and check out Killer Banshee, the song I was hoping SC would play. It's truly awesome.

:lol: I saw you, Dennis. Is that a Piccolo snare you have mounted to the left of you? It's really great in the subtler moments.

:lol: I saw you, Dennis. Is that a Piccolo snare you have mounted to the left of you? It's really great in the subtler moments.
Kinda :)
The standard size of a snare is 14" x 5½" or 6½".
When a snare is shallower than, I think, 4½", it's called a "piccolo". If the diameter is smaller than 13", it's called a "soprano".
That snare I have on my left is 12" x 3¼" so I think it's officially a piccolo AND a soprano.
But it could be that a soprano has to be at least 4" deep. I have no clue.

Anyways.. It sounds nice ;)

Dennis

Here are some questions for Marcel about the recordings

From the studio diary pictures I could see you put two mics in front of the Marshall 4/12 cabinet to record the guitarsounds.
Are these mics at the same distance? They seem to be close to just one of the four speakers. Is it always done this way?
I recorded a demo once and used two mics in front of the whole cabinet to pick up the total of 4 speakers. Also were they placed at two different spots. Seeing your procedure makes me wonder what the advantages are?

I read that you completed the whole recording in just two days.
That's amazing! You must have had quite a good idea of every note you were going to play then. Or were there also some expiriments?

kind regards, keeper

Well actually the lady from the studio advised me to put the mics like that, I like the idea of CLOSE miking since it gives a very direct and fat sound. The microphones are placed differently, one microphone was positioned in a slight angle towards the speaker, and the other one is straight with the speaker cab. The mics are very close to the speaker though not totally against the cover.

We just experimented with it and we liked the sound we got.

Eddy -> well I think you have a site about that strange guitar eh ... http://www.jem7bsb.com ;)

free commerce for ya :)

Marcel

About the recordings:

I played in each song ,except one, two rhythm guitars (left and right to make the sound more full). I was well prepared for the studio recordings, but in one song I changed the lead guitar at the spot, and improvised it, and readjusted it, you will hear it soon I guess :)