question for people who know a thing or two about downloading software from torrents.

MFJ

Jan 20, 2004
Behind the mist.
wrt.jpg

I just want to play Soldier of Fortune. how does one do that with a massive amount of .rar files?

another question - i have the diablo 2 .iso files downloaded. all you need is the install disc and the play disc to get the game running as far as i know. i went through the install process and everything seemed fine until i tried to play it. when i load the play disc, the "play diablo II" screen comes up, but if i try to play it all i get is "make sure the play disc is in your CD-ROM drive" even thought it is!

Part 1

.rar files are just bigger files (or directories of files) split up into a whole bunch of smaller files. The purpose of this is to be able to efficiently have data transferred in smaller pieces without worrying about possible corruption and such.

A good example is Part 2 which I am about to get to. People will create .rar's out of a CD such as the .ISO file you speak of, and then share it to others.

Judging from the picture I see, you must already have an application capable of opening them, most likely winrar. You should be able to use that to extract what you WANT to a separate directory.

I'm not sure why it's not showing .rar at the end of the files that have pictures though, that's kind of odd. It's usually all one or the other.

Part 2

Burned copies of games are not exact copies of the original (unless specifically done in an application like Clone ISO). So even if it's in, if it's a burned copy, there might be copy protection preventing you from playing.

Solution:

-Diablo 2 may be an old enough game where you can simply copy everything off that CD into the Game directory it's installed to and it will work. I can't remember though, and this might not work due to the reasons above regardless.

2nd Solution:

You'll need a NO-CD game crack from Megagames or www.gamecopyworld.com... make sure you update the game first.

Just open the 2nd file in winrar, extract, then use a program like dameontools or Alcohol to mount the image to a virtual drive. THe FIRST file, right click it, open with, notepad. That has the instructions for installation (CD-Key, No-CD crack location on the disc, etc.).

thanks a lot guys. by the way, i am on a Dell "Mini" which is like a little bit bigger than a DVD case. My dad has this cool verizon wireless USB modem and i'm getting fantastic service up in the New Hampshire mountains..... ohhh technology.

Diablo 2 is still champion for most hours I've wasted on a game... Diablo 3 will most likely meet that number and laugh as it passes it by.