Question about downloading songs

eighteeschick

Jul 12, 2005
Jersey Baby
I had a lot of tapes that I was going through that I wanted to change over to CDs. The reality is that I don't listen to all the songs, only a few on each, so it doesn't warrant me buying the whole CDs. Most of the bands are glam bands from the 80s and most aren't together any more so I don't feel guilty downloading the songs. But then there are my favs that I am going to get the CDs for. So my question after a long winded story is do the artists profit at all when a song is downloaded? I signed up for MSN Music so its not like I download the songs for free. I paid 99 cents for each song which was a lot cheaper than me buying the CDs for one or two songs each. Also, isn't there a Top 100 list or something for how many times a song is downloaded? If there is, wouldn't that account for something when discussing record sales? Just wondering.

I will admit that I am not proficient on this subject, but this is my understanding:

If you are downloading from a site like MSN and paying for it, the record companies should be profiting and passing royalties along to the bands.

If you are downloading from any kind of peer-to-peer site, the bands are definitely not profiting.

Another option for you is to make your own CDs from your old tapes.
I am in the process of uploading all of my old albums and cassettes into my computer, then I make my own "best of" CDs.
All you need is a tape player and turn table hooked up to a receiver with an "audio out". Then run it to the back of your computer into the "audio in". The software to record the music is pretty inexpensive, too. I use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 3.0. Works like a charm. You may also want to invest in an MP3 Maker because the Audio Cleaning Lab record in .wav format. You will want to eventually compress them to an MP3 if you want to keep them on your computer.

:cool:

Just to build on that, Nomad...

I also do converting of tapes to MP3 - the only real drawback is that you have to do the recording in real-time (unlike only a few minutes to rip a CD), and it may take a while to "clean up" the songs into something listenable. (This is mostly when working off records - though I've been fortunate enough to get some files clean enough to the point that the casual listener would never know their source.) I don't do this too often because I just don't have the time anymore - though now that I'm the music director for a community radio station in my area, I'll probably be doing this more often.

I happen to use GoldWave to record the material into my computer. If I don't need to clean the file up, I can break the file up into individual songs and save them as .MP3 files. If I have to clean them up, I use Adobe Audition. (I confess I'm not technically adept enough to do a lot of fancy shit with either program - if I can get the file to being listenable, that's good enough for my old ears.)

Just use Limewire and download whatever you want whenever you want. Don't get me wrong, I still buy new CD's. Must have's. Anything older or something with just one or two songs I download it for free. Especially newer bands with one song on the radio. I like to check out the wholeSome artists may say it's stealing but I have bought many concert tickets based on a band that I have downloaded for free. I believe they make more money off one concert ticket then one CD.

dailyvault said:
Just to build on that, Nomad...

I also do converting of tapes to MP3 - the only real drawback is that you have to do the recording in real-time (unlike only a few minutes to rip a CD), and it may take a while to "clean up" the songs into something listenable. (This is mostly when working off records - though I've been fortunate enough to get some files clean enough to the point that the casual listener would never know their source.) I don't do this too often because I just don't have the time anymore - though now that I'm the music director for a community radio station in my area, I'll probably be doing this more often.

I happen to use GoldWave to record the material into my computer. If I don't need to clean the file up, I can break the file up into individual songs and save them as .MP3 files. If I have to clean them up, I use Adobe Audition. (I confess I'm not technically adept enough to do a lot of fancy shit with either program - if I can get the file to being listenable, that's good enough for my old ears.)

Cool!
I don't clean up too often. Luckily, my albums are in pretty good shape. Occassionaly, I get a "pop" or "crackle", but actually, I kinda like the "nostalgia" of hearing that. :Spin:

My problem is with cassette tapes. When the quality is bad, there's not much I can do about it.
:(

I have over 400 albums and over 200 tapes, so it's taking my quite a while to upload them in my free time, but it is SO worth it when I can burn whatever I want to CD.

Like you said, most of the time, nobody can tell it was from an actual album.
:headbang:

I use I-tunes. I just bought the little nano I-Pod and moved all my Anthrax cd's as well as other shit onto it. For those songs that I have on tape or can't find or don't want to buy the whole album, you can buy for 99 cents.

Thanks for all the info on downloading!! I'm still going to buy the CDs because I feel like you are missing out if you don't have the actual CD with the lyrics, thank yous, etc. but I do think downloading is good in certain circumstances. There has been an album or two I wish I had downloaded first. I would never have bought the actual CD if I had heard it first.

and then when the RIAA and US Customs (ICE) and or the FBI find you, have fun paying either the 3 grand settlement fee, or the 2500 per song 50,000 per movie found on your hard drive. Did you know that the FBI and the RIAA set up music and movie files that have tracers in the code. That way if you download a song that they have planted you can get caught. I know 2 people that were busted, and they each had to pay 3 grand plus court costs which equaled 4700.00. Thats 4700 tunes off of ITunes.

You say newer songs on the radio. Those are the ones that get you caught.

A thief is a thief.

Frankieebotz said:
Just use Limewire and download whatever you want whenever you want. Don't get me wrong, I still buy new CD's. Must have's. Anything older or something with just one or two songs I download it for free. Especially newer bands with one song on the radio. I like to check out the wholeSome artists may say it's stealing but I have bought many concert tickets based on a band that I have downloaded for free. I believe they make more money off one concert ticket then one CD.

Dial Up = hours for 1 song. Not worth it. Plus you are stealing and that makes you a loser thief.

anthraxfan442 said:
i know im gonna get yelled at for asking this, but whats the best P2P downloader? I only have dial up, so i dont d/l that often, and i always buy the cd if i find out i like the music.