Question for the Guitarists here

Phoenix5

d3v4s7a710n
May 14, 2005
Nebraska
What would you guys prefer?

A good tube combo that you could mic or an "okay" loud as hell half stack?

I'd go for a good combo. I don't play live, so I don't need to go louder than the already insane loud sound of a combo. Plus - like you said- if the sound is better it's better for recording. Which is where my passion lies.

I'm looking at a Line 6 combo.

I don't know if I like the tone on it or not. My funds are that plentiful and I can get the Line 6 for about $850. Any other suggestions for any decent combos?

I have yet to look at used stores, so that's always a possibility.

we are talkin tubes haha. i don't remember the Line 6, but it was for sure a tuber.

Why is the soldano good?

The only tube Amp Line 6 makes is one in conjunction with Bogner. It's still not a "true" tube amp, and is still modeled.

As for the Soldano they're one of the premium high gain amps along with Bogner, and Deizel, but they're slightly more affordable. They might not have all the bells, and whistles that some of the other amps have for the same price, but their tone is second to none imo for high gainers. Just ask Eric Clapton, BB King, Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Steve Vai, George Lynch, Jerry Cantrell, etc. etc. who are all known users. Just read up.

The only tube Amp Line 6 makes is one in conjunction with Bogner. It's still not a "true" tube amp, and is still modeled.

As for the Soldano they're one of the premium high gain amps along with Bogner, and Deizel, but they're slightly more affordable. They might not have all the bells, and whistles that some of the other amps have for the same price, but their tone is second to none imo for high gainers. Just ask Eric Clapton, BB King, Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Steve Vai, George Lynch, Jerry Cantrell, etc. etc. who are all known users. Just read up.

You're right, it was a Bogner. I forgot to mention that. What do you mean by "true"? This is the first real amp that I'm trying to buy. I finally have some money so that I don't have to borrow friends amps any more.

Well Line 6 claims it's a true tube amp because it has preamp tubes as well as power tubes, but from the schematics I've seen a while back they still have the signal flow where the distortion is still being generated digitally before it hits the first tube stage, and really all the tubes are doing is helping smooth the integration in the circuits from a digital flow. I haven't played one or seen the official schematics, but they haven't redefined the market so I'd well enough assume that's the way it is, which also means they haven't quite mastered the form yet or people would have been buying them like hot cakes especially with the Bogner name tagged in. Basically the tone isn't quite there, but they do have versatility, and built in effects to boot for a good price so it all comes down to what you're willing to compromise.

I see. Yeah, I don't know how much I like it.

It has like 3 different clean and distortion settings and the tone really isn't as smooth as I would have figured. I didn't have that much time to play it though. I just sat there and goofed around on it awhile and didn't try to set an equilizer on it. I don't know haha. Might be as good as it gets for a poor college student.

I see. Yeah, I don't know how much I like it.

It has like 3 different clean and distortion settings and the tone really isn't as smooth as I would have figured. I didn't have that much time to play it though. I just sat there and goofed around on it awhile and didn't try to set an equilizer on it. I don't know haha. Might be as good as it gets for a poor college student.

Nah dude, there's much better amps than Line 6 out there... Also for that price.
Check my previous post and/or just go to a big music store where they have lots of amps, so you can try them out. Then you can also kind of orientate on what kind of sound you like etc. Please don't buy Line 6 cause that might be "as good as it gets" :erk:

I'm not going to buy the Line 6. I looked at the Koch amps and it seemed like they're pretty expensive. I need to find a place that supplies them here and play one. I have a few other stores in the area that I need to check out. I might as well just make a day out of amp shopping haha.

Short comment - Line 6 is shite.

If you can buckle the price, try one of these: http://www.matamp.co.uk/chino.htm

If you're only going to use it at home and for recording, a Minimat 2 would be excellent.

If you go down the Matamp route, or Koch or whatever, you'll need a good pedal. Telenordia (www.telenordia.de) and D*A*M work wonders (www.stompboxes.co.uk), both produce fantastic units which are neutrally voiced. Or try out Xotic, good too.

Otherwise, shop for a used JCM900 MKIII tube head and simply use a combination of mic & DI box.

Take two mics and tape them to the cabinet with normal tape and tie matress to the front of the cab. Works well too.

EDIT: Laney combos are also very practical and quite a good deal.