All tube combo amps for the metal. HELP!

Aug 16, 2002
Richmond, Va
Visit site
I know this is long, but please, bear with me. I need some help here.

Here's a question that I know has NEVER been asked here before [/sarcasm]. I have just never really gotten a good answer. I want some of you people, particularly you, Sunbane, to help me answer the question that has been asked since the dawn of time. Is there a reasonably priced all-tube combo (say, 2x12) amp that has enough gain to play some serious metal? I've only been playing for a few years now, and I don't want to make a huge investment in a stack or anything of the sort, but I do want to get a nice tube combo that will scream and be able to output some serious gain. My current setup is TERRIBLE, and I'm getting sick of the horrible and lackluster tone that I am getting out of it. I'm playing an Epiphone LP Standard (decent enough for what I'm doing, and I'm hoping it will be even better once I replace the stock pickups with EMG 81-85's this Christmas) and a... here it comes... Crate GFX212 Combo amp with a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal (BLAH! :puke: ). I'm sick and tired of the serious mud that is coming out of the speakers of my amp. I have no idea why I bought it, but I'm pretty dissapointed that I did.

So here comes the challenge: I'm trying to replace my amp and throw out the old MT-2. I know there's an all-tube combo out there somewhere that will be perfect for what I'm doing. I don't even need anything big enough/loud to gig as I'll be mostly just practicing and tooling around in my room, although it would be nice to have a decent enough amp that I could gig with if the chance arrived. I just want an amp that will scream when I attempt to "shred" through it without my previous necessity for a distortion pedal.

Do they exist? Does anyone know of any combo that will get this job done, or does one have to have the cash to get a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier if he/she wants a decent metal tone? I'd really appreciate some advice from those of you who have played around with some of these things and want to help out an aspiring musician. Thanks in advance, everyone.

First off, there isnt anything wrong with the Crate GFX series. I used to have a 2x12 and I loved it. I wouldnt run the Metal Zone thru it tho. The amp already has a nice warm sound to it. Fairly compressed too.

Secondly you have to consider your guitar an pickups. I used to have an Epi Flying V. I got rid of it immediatly. It sounded like complete ass. If you cant buy the real thing then you definitly do need to change those pickups. EMG's DO have a sound all their own. Now overpowering but they do sound alike in all guitars to an extent.

Now for a decent Combo thats all tube I'd reccomend a Peavy 5150 2x12 combo. Played a few of em and I was impressed. All the gain of the head and just as much roar, but in a combo and alot cheaper. Quite a bit of gain in it as well.

I`d recommend ENGL, they have combo-versions of most of their head and so far I liked every ENGL-amp I was able to try.
These combos mostly have 50 or 60W as far as I know, should be enough for practicing and even for most gigs

Iced: well, there isn`t a combo-version of the Powerball (or even the Fireball), but theres the Sovereign50, Savage60, Screamer and some more I think

Your current setup should be suitable for metal, If you aren't getting a good tone, I'd suggest getting someone else to EQ it for you. Theres no reason you shouldn't get a killer tone with that setup.

If you're determined to get a tube amp any, go to http://www.carvin.com and check out the MTS series. The MTS3212 will absolutely kill any Peavey, Marshall, Randall, or Boogie you care to put it up against. No shit, and I don't work for carvin or anything like that, but their amps are without a doubt the best value in a metal amp you can imagine.

I'm actually sort of interested in the 5150 combo. I know they're only one-trick ponies and not very versatile at that, and I know that the clean is apparently sub-par, but I never really use the clean on my current amp. If I'm not going to play metal, I just use my acoustic or classical...

"Is there a reasonably priced all-tube combo (say, 2x12) amp that has enough gain to play some serious metal?"

You ask, I reply. You didnt ask for versatile, you asked for balls out metal yeah?

Clean tones are what Jazz pickups and the like are made for. If you play metal you need a decent clean sound or you start to sound boring.

I don't know if a tube combo is the right amp to play in your bedroom. Unless you buy a decent attenuator, you won't get any power tube saturation out of it, resulting in a dull sounding amp. If you can cranked it, you'll be ok, mas I guess no one can crank an amp in the bedroom.

Indiooo said:
I don't know if a tube combo is the right amp to play in your bedroom. Unless you buy a decent attenuator, you won't get any power tube saturation out of it, resulting in a dull sounding amp. If you can cranked it, you'll be ok, mas I guess no one can crank an amp in the bedroom.
Exactly how much would a decent attenuator cost?

You can get a THD Hotplate for $350 new. Maybe you can find one that matches your amp's impedance on Ebay.

There are others, like the Marshall Power Brake (has a reputation for blowing output tranformers) and another from Koch (I think this one is pretty expensive). I think the THD does a wonderful job. I've played a 100w Marshall Plexi using one and it's amazing how you can get a great tone at low volumes.

Ashdown makes an amp called the Peacemaker that can be fitted with KT88s. Best sounding tubes I've ever heard. Just the fact that you can switch between EL34s, 6L6s and KT88s without modding (so they say) earns some points in my book.