Question for the Guitarists here

Damn it. Now I'm searching for a decent guitar amp with good cleans and great distortion, but it's hard to find...
I actually played the Koch studiotone yesterday, and I was really disappointed. The highs are way too dominant and painful (don't try sliding your fingers over the neck if you still want to hear) and there's waaay too little bass in it.

I hope I can try some Laney around here. I also tried the Line 6/bogner tube-amp, but it sounded too digital

I played through a mesa the other week while doing a little recording and it sounded amazing. I don't remember the model number though...

Laney are great amp makers. I have a GH100L head and couldn't be happier with it. Sounds wicked with the right effects pedals aswell.

I have a Laney TF300 tube combo myself. I've had it 6 years now and wouldn't change anything about it. I'll eventually get around to buying a cab for it but i have no need for one atm as i get a lot of low end out of it as it is.

Effects wise i run a Boss GT8 through the effects loop.

I hope I can try some Laney around here. I also tried the Line 6/bogner tube-amp, but it sounded too digital

I'd be very surprised if you can't get any Laneys over there as they are British made.

I played through a mesa the other week while doing a little recording and it sounded amazing. I don't remember the model number though...

Yeah I think the Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier would be the perfect amp for me, but it's too expensive to buy now, so I'm looking for a temporary (a few years?) but decent replacement till I get there...
Till now every amp I tried had pretty good cleans, but the distortions were too "boxy" or just f'd up, so I'm kinda looking for something bright, but with tight bass. My eye is fixed on Laney at the moment.

You don't need a Triple Rec. 150 watts is overkill. The single 50 is all you need really. Breaks up quicker too.

Broken sentence day!

Fact is you'll never need all that headroom, and just so you know there isn't much of a loudness difference. Unless you plan on playing outdoors for a big crowd with absolutely no sound system then a 150 is just plan overkill. Hell Jimmy Page only used 50 watt heads, and he's rocked the biggest stages around.

edit; Byron. Notice we have the same post count... for now. haha!

Epic!!! :headbang:

I don't post on these forums that often. I joined up for the Opeth forum back in the day but then noticed that it's full of tards. I much prefer this forum. :kickass:

Anyway back on topic!

You don't need a Triple Rec. 150 watts is overkill. The single 50 is all you need really. Breaks up quicker too.

Broken sentence day!

Fact is you'll never need all that headroom, and just so you know there isn't much of a loudness difference. Unless you plan on playing outdoors for a big crowd with absolutely no sound system then a 150 is just plan overkill. Hell Jimmy Page only used 50 watt heads, and he's rocked the biggest stages around.

Oh now I see the Watts is the only difference between the dual and triple.
In that case I'd go for the dual rectifier. 150 watts is sooo ridiculous.
Or is there also a version with even less watts? I'd be glad to save money on the watts :p

I had a Dual Rec, but I traded up for a Soldano Hot-Rod 50+ head, which is a 50 watter. With 4x12 slanted Mesa Cab with V30 speakers, and a closed back.

My head nows only a two channel, but like you said it's really nice having a 3rd.

It was noisy with flabby low end. It's still a really nice head though, and I miss having 3 channels with separate eq's, but I got a great deal on the Soldano, which is stripped down, but has better sounding tone.

maybe try out a 5150 2x12 combo... I had one once and you can get one of the best distortions around with it. You can buy them dirt cheap. they are loud as hell but be sure to get a noise gate and have plenty of muscle if you plan on traveling much with it.

small tube amp you can crank for recording

half stack for large concerts

for most venues you wont need more than 50 watt combo or head

hope this helps

hmm, that would now be the 6505. Yeah I'll put it on my list...
When I've got the money I'll go to some big store where they have them all and I can compare

Those are fizzy bastards with no real clean channel.