Question for the Yanks

Saucy_Jack

Shit faced
Jan 4, 2005
Terra Australis
I need to start thinking about where I want to go for the 3 months practical experience I have to do for my last year at uni. I am thinking about coming to the States to do it. I know some stuff about your fine country but any suggestions as to which city would be the best option. I just wanna have a good time, lots of drinking. Was thinking East Coast somewhere. Maybe NY or Boston?

Saucy_Jack said:
I need to start thinking about where I want to go for the 3 months practical experience I have to do for my last year at uni. I am thinking about coming to the States to do it. I know some stuff about your fine country but any suggestions as to which city would be the best option. I just wanna have a good time, lots of drinking. Was thinking East Coast somewhere. Maybe NY or Boston?

Boston or N.Y. are both execellent choices!!

Boston is a great, relatively small, NorthEastern city with a great vibe. The city and surrounding area features some of America's most prestigious universtities so Boston tends to be very 'young', with students packing bars (of which there are many)! Boston also has a great New England charm that cities such as New York do not.

But speaking of New York, a more fun city probably doesn't exist in America (unless you love gambling in which case you need to see Vegas!). Manhattan has it all.....all of the beauty and ugliness which defines humanity. As a side note, the City is no where near as dirty or dangerous as it was 20 years ago. In fact, it's now one of the safest cities in the nation.

Boston and New York are only about 3-4 hours apart by car/bus, so you can actually see both if you have the time.

Atlanta (Georgia) is also a fun city but it's still growing and doesn't really offer the excitement of the aforementioned cities.

Another great spot is Denver (Colorado). But this is closer to the West Coast than the East, so it may not work for you.

Saucy_Jack said:

You can't go wrong with either, but Boston is a major college party town. Both cities are VERY expensive!

Saucy_Jack said:
Couldn't be much worse than the financial raping you get living in Sydney nowadays.

I live in NY...not in the city, but 40 miles north...in the suburbs...NYC is amazing, it has everything, but I always love visiting Boston...I'm not sure why, but I always have a great time there...it's not anywhere near as big...it's a little more laid back...I just like it.

I have been to every major city in this country and more than half the world to boot. I would suggest this.

NYC - is an amazing city and no place will ever present the opportunities or possibilities for partying and fun more than new york.

Boston- A great city for fun -food and fools. Lots of yuppies and school kiddies keepin it real.

MY CHOICE- Austin, Tx- Live music capital of America. 1 and 1/2 hours from Dallas or San antonio. Awesome live music- you will see more live bands than you could possibly want. Food- it simply is great and tons of different styles.
Partying- Only new york has a more diverse crowd but Texas does it better. Simply- The best over all bang for your buck is Austin Texas. You can visit the east coast but Texas will welcome you...SO will I- Fisrst, Second and Third pitchers of ale is on me!!!

I still have a while to think about it. Actually Austin sounds sweet. Does it have more of a country vibe to it because I am originally a country boy so Texas rednecks are like my own kind. Also I got a good mate who is just over the border in Monterrey. I could base myself in Texas and travel out to see D.C, NY and Boston. Killer. Can't wait. But I also need to see where I can get some work. Also, I have no desire to go to L.A, ever!

The only real problem with south Texas is that everything is far. It's less than an hour between Austin and San Antonio (my town), but Dallas, Houston, Corpus Christi, all of em are several multiple boring hours drive away. Never mind driving out-of-state or to Mexico... it takes like 3 years with no bathroom breaks to get to any border from where I am, and there's not very much in between other than a Dairy Queen and a gas station every few days. And we're surrounded by douchey states (Oklahoma = Oklahomo, New Mexico is a lot less fun than Old Mexico, and Louisiana isn't really there anymore).

But if you come to stay, the greater Central Texas San Antonio-Austin area is the best place on earth.

Teh Grimarse said:
The only real problem with south Texas is that everything is far. It's less than an hour between Austin and San Antonio (my town), but Dallas, Houston, Corpus Christi, all of em are several multiple boring hours drive away. Never mind driving out-of-state or to Mexico... it takes like 3 years with no bathroom breaks to get to any border from where I am, and there's not very much in between other than a Dairy Queen and a gas station every few days. And we're surrounded by douchey states (Oklahoma = Oklahomo, New Mexico is a lot less fun than Old Mexico, and Louisiana isn't really there anymore).

But if you come to stay, the greater Central Texas San Antonio-Austin area is the best place on earth.

Dont forget that everyone in Tejas still thinks they are their own country >=)

And they had a decent football team this year..that is a definite plus. But Houston was ruined by Katrina "refugees"