Question for those with recording/studio knowledge

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Why, specifically, does the sound of "DOD" suck so terribly?

Is it simply the 'mix'? What's done that makes an album such as BNW sound as if the songs have "room to breath?, and what's done (or not done) that renders DOD so muddy & almost 'painful' to the ears?

Kevin Shirley stated that the basic tracks were recorded live - does he literally mean that the band members play live together, as they would on stage (and add overdubs later)? Of course, right?
If so, would that make it harded to mix the record?

Anyone here familiar with recording/mixing practices?

That thing about that the DOD sound sucked is your opinion.
Personally I think it's fine. A multitude of factors determine how the record sounds; the recordstudio accoustics, equipment used, the input from the musicians, the recording engineer, the producer, the mixing engineer and also the mastering process itself...to mention a few things.

Yes, on DOD all the bandmembers played live together, just like they would play on stage. But that in general doesn't make it harder to mix, later on. It doesn't matter at all, really. It's just a matter of recording procedures. Every bandmember have their designated channels on the mixingboard anyway.

SoundMaster said:
Why, specifically, does the sound of "DOD" suck so terribly?

Is it simply the 'mix'? What's done that makes an album such as BNW sound as if the songs have "room to breath?, and what's done (or not done) that renders DOD so muddy & almost 'painful' to the ears?

Kevin Shirley stated that the basic tracks were recorded live - does he literally mean that the band members play live together, as they would on stage (and add overdubs later)? Of course, right?
If so, would that make it harded to mix the record?

Anyone here familiar with recording/mixing practices?
I do have some live mixing experience, as I used to part own a concert PA system........my job was stage sound primarily, along with set up and pull down, (obviously)........I also used to get a turn on the light rig sometimes!!! :headbang:

If, as you say, parts of DoD were recorded 'live' I would take that to mean at least two of the guitars, Harris and Nicko played the basic track........though this could be manipulated later, with individual tracks being faded or enhanced without too many spill problems.
I think if that's the thing they were going for, and some of that work was kept for the final mix, it would be a little more difficult to get a nice crisp sound.
I believe this CD suffers because of too much low mid - range.........when using the term 'mid-range' there may be as many as 10-12 frequencies that are applicable..........and a little too much bass sound from the upper range of the instrument.
I also think Bruce's voice is too 'dry' and buried a little too far in the mix........I do think 3 guitars is a problem for this band, or for the producer, hard to say which.
Really difficult to make comments without knowing the process that was used, but to my ears the recording needs a lot cleaner guitar sound. A lot cleaner.........or perhaps use only two guitars for the recording process - and the bass doesn't really sound like Harris to me........needs a more 'stringy' sound, I wanna hear his fingers hitting the string.
The drums? Where to start.......more punch thru the kick, more attack on the snare, and a 'bigger' sound would be good - think 'Where Eagles dare' with modern equipment. Bruce just needs more reverb, and he needs to be mixed right out the front of the sound more - a lot more. He is beginning to sound like he needs more help, as you would expect as he gets older, and he seems to be getting less, to me at least. The vocal sounds also like it has too much compression.
I think the 'room to breath' comment is a good one - I don't think the instruments on this mix have any space at all.......it sounds cluttered, it sounds muddy, and it sounds disappointing.

So to sum up.......guitars - a bit less dense, a bit sharper, maybe only use two on any given track. Remember some of the classic material only ever had two.........I don't know that this band knows how to use three, and I don't want them to.
Bass - less bass!! :lol: more mids, go for that stringy sound that I always used to hear from Harris.
Drums - Lumpier, more bassy kick........use heaps of reverb, then 'cut' the sound off with a noise gate. Imagine hitting a kick drum in a really echoey hall or something, but the sound actually stops after a half second or so.......nice.
Vox - more reverb, more depth, more everything. Louder.

Just my opinion guys, and I must stress I have been out of the business for a while. :)

It's one of the shittiest sounding CDs I've ever heard. There's nothing really good about the sound.... everything is fucked up. Every instrument could have been recorded so much better.... can't believe how they let album out with that kind of sound?

SoundMaster said:
NightWing -

THANK YOU for that awesome, clear explanation.
Much appreciated.

And i agree about Bruce's vocals and about the (non-existant) snare sound.
Cool. Please bear in mind I'm not suggesting I could be a better producer than Kevin Shirley, because I'm not and I couldn't be.
I'm referring to personal preferences in sound really, based on techniques that I've both seen and used.

Nightwing said:
the bass doesn't really sound like Harris to me........needs a more 'stringy' sound, I wanna hear his fingers hitting the string.

Bass - less bass!! :lol: more mids, go for that stringy sound that I always used to hear from Harris.
I don't know what you're on about here dude. This is the first record in almost 15 years where it sounds like a bass, rather than a clanky piece of shit.

well, I haven't listened to it in a week or so, so won't make any detailed comments, however: the mastering is a big problem. This is not Kevin's fault, this is where an engineer takes the finished mix and polishes it with a little eq, compression etc.

The trend these days is to make everything as loud as possible, and that is done mostly with aggressive compression and eq, and has the consequences of making the volume "pump" (sometimes) and can distort the sound. There is also digital clipping on the album, something that should have been noticed and corrected.

All in all, it's badly produced, and I may elaborate a bit once I've had another listen.

Alex999 said:
well, I haven't listened to it in a week or so, so won't make any detailed comments, however: the mastering is a big problem. This is not Kevin's fault, this is where an engineer takes the finished mix and polishes it with a little eq, compression etc.

The trend these days is to make everything as loud as possible, and that is done mostly with aggressive compression and eq, and has the consequences of making the volume "pump" (sometimes) and can distort the sound. There is also digital clipping on the album, something that should have been noticed and corrected.

All in all, it's badly produced, and I may elaborate a bit once I've had another listen.
2 things about this........unless things have changed, the Producer would handle the graphics - I would if my name was going on the album under the heading 'Producer'. This has always been my experience.
Second, compression tends to 'round' the sound off, take the rough edges off as it were - it has nothing to do with volume........equally, (like that?) graphics can obviously boost individual frequencies, but I personally never used it as an overall volume enhancement.
The trend is indeed to produce loud CD's, but I don't think DoD is particularly loud in that fashion. They certainly should have made the drums louder!!

Opinion only.

Nightwing said:
2 things about this........unless things have changed, the Producer would handle the graphics - I would if my name was going on the album under the heading 'Producer'. This has always been my experience.
Second, compression tends to 'round' the sound off, take the rough edges off as it were - it has nothing to do with volume........equally, (like that?) graphics can obviously boost individual frequencies, but I personally never used it as an overall volume enhancement.
The trend is indeed to produce loud CD's, but I don't think DoD is particularly loud in that fashion. They certainly should have made the drums louder!!

Opinion only.

Most bands have an album sent to a mastering house and mastered by somebody other than the producer. This gives another person a chance to listen through it and tweak it to sound as good as it can. Kevin Shirley doesn't have a reputation for being a big compression-freak, so I'm guessing that most of the compressing and limiting happened at the mastering house.

Compression has loads to do with volume---that's basically what it is is a volume. If you overcompress something, that dramatically effects the general EQ of the whole thing. Also, due to the wonders of brickwall limiters, you can run something as close to 0db as possible and just squash the dynamic range of the music, thus creating a very loud disk. The general volume level of CDs now is much higher than it was 10 years ago, this is largely due to the over-use of limiters and compressors both during the recording, mixing, and mastering.

TravisW said:
Compression has loads to do with volume---that's basically what it is is a volume. If you overcompress something, that dramatically effects the general EQ of the whole thing. Also, due to the wonders of brickwall limiters, you can run something as close to 0db as possible and just squash the dynamic range of the music, thus creating a very loud disk. The general volume level of CDs now is much higher than it was 10 years ago, this is largely due to the over-use of limiters and compressors both during the recording, mixing, and mastering.
Fair enough. Things have changed a little since I was involved in the Biz, obviously. What you are saying about compression is familiar to me......but not.
We used to use compressors more to prevent spill from instrument to instrument mainly in a live recording process.........still, thxs for the info.