Question on a BC Rich part

ginamarina

i kill eggs. sue me.
Aug 17, 2005
Wisconsin
I have in my possession a BC Rich Platinum Series Yellow guitar that my sister had in the early 90's. It has a whammy bar, and it goes out of tune really quickly because the screws that hold the little bar that holds the strings are missing. There are holes for 3 screws. None of them are there. This little bar is before the frets start. I have no idea what any of this is called :loco:

How can I replace them? Are they set-screws you'd put in with an allen wrench? or regular screws with philips heads? how long are they supposed to be? I would like to replace them so Eric will quit grumbling - lol. My old Washburn has a warped neck and he hates that, and the BC Rich goes out of tune all the time. I don't think I can fix the warped neck, but I should be able to replace the three screws that would keep the guitar in tune.

Help!!

thanks a bunch

Gina

thanks Pete. Whoa, I thought this would be a cheap, easy, hardware store fix! I sure wish I could find them, but maybe they were gone when I picked it up for my sister. It's just a guitar to fuck around with when people are here. I don't even know what kind of bass I have, it's been painted a few times :zombie:

here's below the headstock-
DSC03127.jpg

Shouldn't be too expensive, the nuts and clamps don't cost that much and the price on the Warmoth site is for the whole thing.

But, having seen your pic, I now think you have ALL the bits and this thread is merely an excuse to show off a Loomis plectrum...:lol:

That's a Kahler locking nut...it takes allen head bolts......

http://www.kahlerusa.com

I agree with Lt1z, as I have an old B.C. Rich NJ Series Mockingbird( my first BC! Still have it!) with a Kahler nut on there as well! Try the website he suggested Gina, or Warmouth, or even your local guitar store, and have them order it through Allparts. They used to have replacements for everything,a s I remember it. Hope that helps!
Hey, you need a black NM pick there too?:lol:

If you use black plecs, who gave me these?
smythplcs.jpg

Who are you and what have you done with Steve Smyth?? :loco:

That was before the switch to the black ones!:lol: I like the look of those too, but we were doing the Green ones with Testament, and when I reordered for Nevermore, that was what they sent me, 'till I got the black ones, and Jeff got his Sharpie White ones.:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Shouldn't be too expensive, the nuts and clamps don't cost that much and the price on the Warmoth site is for the whole thing.

But, having seen your pic, I now think you have ALL the bits and this thread is merely an excuse to show off a Loomis plectrum...:lol:

No, I really don't have the parts! I have 6 Loomis sharpies and I let Eric play with this one and keep the others in my drawer with my Steve pick. See Steve, your pick is a SPECIAL one!!
DSC03128.jpg

Thank you for the help guys. 3 stupid screws! :loco: I wish they were standard so I could buy them at a hardware store, but that's just probably because I go to the hardware store more than the guitar store :) I don't want to get the wrong thing because I don't know how long they're supposed to be. I'll do some homework with what you've given me. Sal- maybe I can get you the guitar if you think you have something.

p.s. is this particular guitar worth much? I wish my dad would've bought me this one when I took lessons instead of my sunburst washburn. I hated how that thing looked!! George Lynch was playing cool looking flaming guitars and I had this "old-coot" looking thing, and I"m still stuck with it :) But the chrome yellow BC Rich would've maybe kept me a bit more interested.... well and had I had a teacher who would've moved beyond "Row, Row your Boat"...

:) Have a super weekend everyone!

Ok, I decided to go in the basement and plunder the actually very nice hard case that this guitar was in. After pawing through the sheet music for Faster Pussycat's House of Pain, I found the allen wrench - and the three screws! (and 2 washers), and an empty package of strings. Ok, so someone re-strung the guitar and for some dumb-ass reason didn't put the screws in. I came back upstairs to put them in, but none of them hit anything. ??

They are just loose in there, they go thru the first hole and then never hit the back. Maybe it's best if I just leave them with the wrench and let Eric look next time he's here. Maybe it needs to be re-strung differently or something... The screws aren't stripped, but I can't see where they're going. They appear to be not reaching anything though, but I don't want to put much muscle into it not know WTF I'm doing.

Thanks you guys. You're all awesome :)

Ive got a pick every nevermore concert Ive been to except the first one. 1 smythpick and 2 Jeffpicks... :) They are in my frame with all my concert tickets. I noticed Jeff doesnt use the sharp white ones anymore...?! whats up with that?

If you use black plecs, who gave me these?
smythplcs.jpg

Who are you and what have you done with Steve Smyth?? :loco:

Holy crap, that is just what I was looking for for my wallpaper, I can trace Steve's signature from there, so I can add it on the wallpaper!! :D I did the same with Jeff's pick lol!

On a side note, I have a GREEN Jeff Loomis pick lol, probably the one he's using right now. Is there a place where you can buy these picks, together with Steve's? Damn, that would rock hard :lol: