question/opinion for mitchell

hagenmusic

Dec 22, 2010
Ionia Mi.
Hey, So i'm currently in the market for a new guitar amp.. Just wondering if you had any opinions.

This will be the first time that i'm actually going to test things out and make sure i like it before i buy it, but I'm guessing you have also had your fair share of amps and played different ones.

This will mainly be used for a studio amp so versatility is a big importance for me. Some of the amps i've had in the past are Mesa Triaxis/2:90, Line 6 Vetta 2, Mesa Mark IV..

I really enjoyed the mark iv when i had it, unfortunately had to sell it for financial reasons...

Right now i'm seriously looking at an EVH 5150 iii 50 watt version, Mesa Mark V, and Egnater Vengence.

The EVH 5150 if winning the battle right now mainly because it's 1200$ cheaper than the mark V, and also has midi capability.

If you have any insight or opinions i'd love to hear them.

Hey!

As far as full-size amps go, I would definitely be looking at the EVH if I were looking for studio amps right now. This is one that Taylor and I have talked about getting back in the arsenal. I used to have a 5150 I stack, but had to sell it for financial reasons as well. I really liked the dirty sound, but the clean was never really clean, which is the problem we were having with the Marshall.

Taylor and I have recently been talking about the lunchbox heads too. It seems like a pretty good deal to get a head for about $800 that has plenty of wattage for the studio and be able to spend another $800 on a different lunchbox to have two amps for the price of one. This has always intrigued me, but I've not yet been in the position to look seriously into this. Have you looked into them at all? I've been wanting to try the Orange Tiny Terror or the small Mesas.

From what i've heard of the new 5150 the clean channel is actually pretty clean and has good head room. I played a mini rectifier the other day and liked it. It pretty much holds true to the recto sound, and the clean channel sounded very clean and crisp too. The only thing i've heard about Orange amps is that the dirty sound is great and the clean sound isn't very clean.

I'll make sure I play it first but I think i'm probably going to go with the evh 5150 iii mini head. Saw one go on ebay for 700$ yesterday so I think if I find the right deal it will be a pretty great amp to have.

The idea of collecting a bunch of mini heads by all the popular manufactuers sounds really fun.. No matter what sound you are going for you will always have something that can nail it.