Blind Test: Helix Native vs Bias Amp

Silkoch

May 29, 2019
I recently played with the thought of buying a line6 hx stomp mainly for recording purposes. However, I wasn't sure if this purchase would even be an upgrade compared to the standard Bias Amp software I already own, so I downloaded the 15-days trial version of helix native and compared its Amp models to the ones from Bias Amp.

Because I wanted to compare the amp modeling only, I used the same 3rd party IR for the cab. It's a mix of a SM57 and a Royer micing a closed back 4x12 cab loaded with V30 (from the official celestion IR's). I compared the 3 models

- Peavy 5150
- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
- Mesa Boogie Mark IV (Mark II+ in Bias)

For the 5150 and Mark IV I used no additional stomp boxes, but there is a TS-999 (by Ignite Amps) in front of the Dual Rectifier sims. Other then that I used no effects on any of the tracks. Since I only own the standard version of Bias amp, I did/could not use the amp matching technology.

Can you tell which software is which? I'll post the results later

Last edited:
Here are the results:

5150:
A -> Helix
B -> Bias

Rectifier:
A -> Bias
B -> Helix

Mark IV:
A -> Bias
B -> Helix

Intesting, I liked Helix 5150 the most, bias rectifier, mark IV was a tie for me. Did you try Ignite Emissary? I liked it more than Bias FX when I tried them against each other, have not tried BIAS amp tho.

Thanks for the test! The helix stomp seem like a really cool unit.

Intesting, I liked Helix 5150 the most, bias rectifier, mark IV was a tie for me. Did you try Ignite Emissary? I liked it more than Bias FX when I tried them against each other, have not tried BIAS amp tho.

Thanks for the test! The helix stomp seem like a really cool unit.

The Emissary is really good, but I think Bias sounds just as good if you don't use the stock cab simulations.