Positive Grid - BIAS Desktop

HOFX

Apr 12, 2012
Is now available here:
http://www.positivegrid.com/bias-desktop/

Used to be just iOS, now it's for desktop and it had good reviews.

Has anyone used this, with any feedback?

They make the claim of "The most complete, accurate, and versatile amp modeling software available in the world" I wonder how that stacks up.

I'll get to try it out in about 10 hours.

It seems to be a Kemper in the box with the amp matching capability....hmmmm....sort of, big difference between source and matched tones actually...so I retract that Kemper statement.

I made a thread about it a couple of months back. Responses seemed to be lukewarm to unnecessarily douchey. I'm a little bummed about the price point, but it sounds pretty interesting. Will probably pick it up when I have some spare cash.

I tried the demo a few hours ago.

I haven't given the amp matching a go but the amp sim in general is pretty underwhelming considering how much this has been hyped up.

Very flat sounding with that annoying fizz that used to be a signature of amp sims years ago.

It reminds me of the Line 6 Toneport with Gearbox. Basically an older version of Pod Farm.

Before this and Recabinet came out I was going to buy one or the other. I'm so glad Recabinet came out first and I bought that because it is WAY better in every way.

I'm sure you can get good tones out of it if you put time into it but with Recab and X50 it's pretty much plug and play which is how it should be.

Maybe if it was half the price it would be a new toy to mess around with.

Doubling the price for what is essentially match EQing is pathetic in my opinion too.

Can someone explain why there is such a dramatic price difference between the plugin and the app version? Is there anything different other than the eq matching?

People wont spend that much money on an app that they would on a desktop plugin i think. It will be more worth to people if u can use it in recording rather than just use to jam with.

iphone app 9.99$
amp packs (3 x 9.99$)
total: 39.96 dollars..

same program in pc: 199.99....

How+About+No.jpg

Same price as Logic Pro :-O
Ridiculous price and completely out of touch with today's market.
There are lots of plugin makers who have discovered that setting a reasonable price leads to huge sales, such as Val Halla, TSE, Klanghelm, Toneboosters etc (even Waves has discovered this lately)
It's not like there is a physical product that has to be manufactured and shipped.
I am aware of development costs and support and the cost of running a business but huge sales at low price generates much more money than mediocre sales at a high price, especially if the product is a digital download.
I will try the demo and see what I think, although I never use sims on a finished product, only for guides and X50V2 is perfect for that.
The idea of having too much to tweak can be bad.
The best software (IMO) is where the technology is transparent and good results are easily obtainable, even by a novice.

Completely disagree on pretty much everything here. I'm not that interested in modern chuggachugga tones, so I might be preaching to the wrong choir here, but after playing around with the demo for a couple of hours, I definitely consider this hands down the best amp sim so far. And I fucking hate amp sims. When it comes to clean, crunchy and sludgy tones, this thing actually feels like playing through a real amp, which is something I haven't even gotten close to before.

As for the price point, 80€ for the basic version without the profiling features is nothing for me. And I'm broke.

Sorry for the threadomancy. Has anyone purchased/demo'd this recently? I'm very interested. I don't usually like ampsims (not my go-to) but I won't have access to my amp for awhile. I have X50, but I want more than just a general 6505 sim (even though it is fantastic). I need a little more variety for crunch and british-style tones (I'm mainly looking for some jcm 800-style sludge), and it looks damn good for all of that. Just curious if any of you have changed your opinion on it.

Get recabinet 4 or TSEx50, I feel like it wasted 200 on this amp plug when it came out. The plugin lags when no signal is coming through when the amp match is turned on.

I have tried a demo a few days ago.

Didn't like it at all.Reminded me of Amplitube 1. In a way it looks and that it has lots of options,and none of them sound good.
Match EQ is ridiculous.Every modern DAW has stock match EQ plugin,the rest is done better with free amp sims.
If you're after JCM800,I'd recommend Mercuriall Hot Preamp:
mercuriall.iks.ru

i have Bias for ios.. i got it and jamup and final touch for a measly 20$ over the holidays last year. And judging from all the comments here I'm glad i didn't buy Bias desktop this year... I ended buying and upgrading to ez drummer 2 instead.

Get recabinet 4 or TSEx50, I feel like it wasted 200 on this amp plug when it came out. The plugin lags when no signal is coming through when the amp match is turned on.

I have X50, and while it's a killer sim, the 6505 thing just isn't what I'm after. And I'm not looking at the amp-matching version, so it would cost me $74 (it's on sale, that's why I brought it up).

I'll definitely check out the emissary—since I've heard good things about that one too—but I'll demo bias first and see if it's for me. It's just that I watched quite a few videos where guys are getting some killer tones out of bias, at least the kind of crunchy marshall tones I want.

I have X50, and while it's a killer sim, the 6505 thing just isn't what I'm after. And I'm not looking at the amp-matching version, so it would cost me $74 (it's on sale, that's why I brought it up).

I'll definitely check out the emissary—since I've heard good things about that one too—but I'll demo bias first and see if it's for me. It's just that I watched quite a few videos where guys are getting some killer tones out of bias, at least the kind of crunchy marshall tones I want.

You need the pro version to get the artist match presets and also the "expansion packs". Except there's no real explanation of what the expansion packs are that I see?